HOUSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Be on the lookout for eight larger-than-life, colorful boots and vote for your favorite at the 2018 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. Reliant is kicking off its inaugural “Boots for Houston” art contest, where eight local charities will showcase their artistic skills by decorating 4-foot tall boots for display inside NRG Stadium. The public will vote for their favorite and help Reliant award more than $22,000 in donations.
"Reliant is bringing two of our favorite things together: an iconic Houston event and support for local nonprofits. The great thing about the Boots for Houston art contest is anyone can vote and know they are making a difference with just one click," said Elizabeth Killinger, president of Reliant. "We are always looking for ways to enhance the Rodeo experience for guests – from fun, family experiences to rentable power packs – and we’re excited to now offer Rodeo-goers the opportunity to support multiple Houston charities."
Kicking off Tuesday, February 27, at 7 p.m. CT, and lasting through Friday, March 9, at 11:59 p.m. CT, the Boots for Houston contest invites the public to “like” the photo of their favorite boot on Reliant’s Facebook page. The first place boot, determined by the most likes, will earn a $10,000 donation for the nonprofit plus a fun Rodeo experience for staff and volunteers. The second place winner will receive a $5,000 donation, third place $2,500 and all other charity participants will receive a $1,000 donation. The boots will be on display for the public to enjoy at Section 101 inside NRG Stadium.
The eight participating nonprofits are:
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Houston
- Boys & Girls Club of Greater Houston
- Casa de Esperanza de los Niños
- Girl Scouts of San Jacinto Council
- Junior Achievement of Southeast Texas
- YMCA of Greater Houston
Back at the Rodeo this year are more Reliant fan favorite experiences:
- Reliant Rodeo Plan: Rodeo season and Reliant go together like chaps and cowboy hats. Customers that switch to the Reliant Rodeo plan will get a $100 Cavender’s gift card to use toward their favorite western wear. And of course, they’ll also wrangle a low price on electricity.
- Reliant Charging Stations: People depend on mobile devices to stay connected to their family and the world around them, and Reliant’s portable power solutions can help Rodeo-goers stay powered while enjoying the fun. There are 20 Reliant charging stations available across NRG Park with 14 inside NRG Stadium, located at every ramp on levels one, three and five, and six stations available across the grounds around The Hideout, NRG Center and NRG Arena. Rodeo-goers can visit reliant.com/go to find nearby charging stations.
- Interactive Family Experiences: The Reliant Big Boot, at 20 feet tall, has become a well-known landmark and photo opportunity at the Rodeo. Guests can also play a cornhole-style “boot toss” game for a chance to walk away with fun prizes like free carnival tickets. Additional fun family photo opportunities are available at Reliant’s Western Saloon photo booth, located inside NRG Center at Entrance C.
- Rodeo Acts of Kindness: Southern hospitality is alive and well at the Rodeo! On March 2, Reliant employee volunteers will be on-site to welcome fans, hand out tote bags and be helpful and kind throughout the Rodeo grounds and carnival.
- Showing Support: Reliant will honor our troops and first responders by handing out red, white and blue bandanas on Armed Forces Appreciation Day on February 28 and First Responders Day on March 5.
About Reliant, an NRG Company
Reliant powers, protects and simplifies life by bringing electricity, smart energy solutions, residential services and security to homes and businesses across Texas. Serving customers and the community is at the core of what we do. Reliant is part of NRG Energy, Inc. (NYSE: NRG), a Fortune 500 company that creates value through best-in-class operations and reliable and efficient electric generation. Backed by a diverse portfolio of power generating facilities, NRG’s retail companies, including Reliant, power almost 3 million customers in 10 states and the District of Columbia. NRG retail brands collectively are the largest providers of electricity in Texas. For more information about Reliant, please visit reliant.com and connect with Reliant on Facebook at facebook.com/reliantenergy and Twitter @reliantenergy. PUCT Certificate #10007.