NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--William H. Sadlier, Inc. (OTCPNK:SADL), announced the publication of a new English language arts supplemental program, Close Reading of Complex Texts for grades 6-8. This unique program by authors Diane Lapp, Barbara Moss, Maria Grant, and Kelly Johnson engages students in the analysis of complex texts, moving learners beyond superficial understanding into deeper comprehension. The middle school program is available in both print and interactive formats. Grades 3-5 will be available in June 2018.
The ability to navigate rigorous texts in science, social studies, and English language arts is essential to student success throughout school and beyond. “While the text may change, the purpose of close reading remains the same – for students to gain understanding of a text, regardless of its type,” according to the authors.
Ray Fagan, President and CEO of William H. Sadlier, Inc., applauds literacy experts Lapp, Moss, Grant, and Johnson on developing such a critical program for the elementary and middle school grades. “Sadlier is proud to bring the work of these noted experts to the classroom as students prepare to meet the challenges of secondary school, college, and career.”
With Close Reading of Complex Texts, students learn the essential elements of close reading and apply and practice those elements in a broad range of text and visual genres. Teacher support leads learners to independence. The essential elements include:
- Reading a text multiple times, each time with a specific purpose
- Annotating text to note key details, important ideas, vivid language, confusing concepts, and unfamiliar vocabulary
- Answering text-dependent questions, citing evidence from a text
- Synthesizing information and ideas across multiple texts on the same theme or topic
- Talking about the text, working collaboratively to grapple with the deeper meanings within it
- Writing about texts, articulating opinions, arguments, and explanations based on the texts
- Analyzing images for details, deeper meaning, and connections to written texts
Through these and other scaffolded and independent experiences, students develop the critical thinking and reading skills they need to succeed in every content area. For more information please visit https://www.sadlier.com/school/close-reading-strategies-for-complex-texts
For over 185 years, William H. Sadlier, Inc. has been dedicated to preparing K–12 students for success in academics with rigorous English Language Arts and Mathematics programs. Sadlier offers a variety of educational solutions from print to technology. Visit www.sadlierschool.com