NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--SheKnows Media, a leading women’s media company with 89 million unique visitors per month (comScore) and more than 300 million social media fans, today announced that Shannon Miller, a seven-time Olympic Medalist in gymnastics, will emcee the 2018 Voices of the Year Health Awards at #BlogHer18 Health, Jan. 30-31 in New York City.
The Voices of the Year (#VOTY) Awards, now in its 11th year, celebrates content creators, influencers and advocates whose work serves to be heard, seen and read. Miller will announce the #VOTY Health honorees during the awards ceremony taking place the evening of January 30th at the conference.
Miller is a mother, an author, a dedicated health advocate – and an ovarian cancer survivor. After an unexpected cancer diagnosis and the treatment that followed, she discovered a “new normal” and has leveraged her experience to fuel her passion of empowering and educating women about health and wellness. She’ll share this journey with the audience to kick off the #VOTY Health celebration.
Honorees of the #VOTY Health Awards include:
- Jessamyn Stanley, an internationally recognized yoga teacher and body positivity advocate, author of Every Body Yoga, and a Fast Company “Most Creative People in Business” honoree, will receive the #VOTY: Health Inspiration Award.
- Cleo Wade, an artist, poet and storyteller who has been called “the Millennial Oprah” by New York Magazine and the author of the new book Heart Talk, will receive the #VOTY Award for Heart + Soul.
- Singer, songwriter, musician and Harvard student Brynn Elliott will accept a #VOTY Award for Empowerment Through Artistry. She will open the celebration with an acoustic performance of her anthemic single, “Might Not Like Me.”
- Daysha Edewi, a former video producer for BuzzFeed, will accept the award for Authenticity for chronicling her incredible weight-loss journey following a 30-day DNA-based diet and fitness plan.
- Jen James, a CrisisTextLine founding supervisor, will receive the Courage Award for her brave, soul-bearing “My Life as a Survivor” article about overcoming her own struggles with suicide.
- Kimberly Zapata, a writer and mental health advocate, will receive the Spotlight Award for her Sunshine Spoils Milk article, in which she points to the death of the Linkin Park front man to destigmatize suicide and reveal just how prevalent the issue is.
“Congratulations to all of the Voices of the Year Health Awards honorees, who bravely wield their influence and experiences to bring about positive change,” said Samantha Skey, President, SheKnows Media. “Their work makes us feel, think, reflect and want to be part of the solution as it relates to important issues affecting women’s health and wellbeing.”
“It’s an honor to be part of the first ever #VOTY Health Awards which recognize the achievements of women who have used their voice to make a difference,” Shannon Miller remarked. “I’m thrilled to have partnered with TESARO to share my story with ovarian cancer and educate others about an important program called Our Way Forward that provides resources for those facing ovarian cancer and their families.”
The #VOTY Health Awards are sponsored by TESARO, an oncology-focused biopharmaceutical company dedicated to improving lives of people facing cancer.
For more information about the #VOTY Awards, #BlogHer18 Health or to register for the conference, go to http://www.blogher.com/blogher18-health. More information about SheKnows Media can be found at www.sheknowsmedia.com.
About SheKnows Media
SheKnows Media is a top women’s lifestyle digital media company with 89 million unique visitors per month (comScore) and more than 300 million social media fans and followers. The company operates a family of leading media properties that include SheKnows.com, BlogHer.com, STYLECASTER.com and HelloFlo.com. With a mission of women inspiring women, SheKnows Media is revolutionizing the publishing industry by forging a new kind of model that seamlessly integrates users, editors and content creators onto a single platform designed to empower all women to discover, share and create. Whether it’s parenting or pop culture, fashion or food, DIY or décor, our award-winning editorial team, Experts, bloggers and social media influencers produce authentic and on-trend content every day. We dig deep to learn what makes our audience tick, revealing unexpected insights on women and digital media. Our robust, end-to-end suite of premium branded content and influencer marketing solutions generate nearly 1 billion ad impressions per month (sources: DFP), allowing brands to distribute authentic content and integrated advertising at scale.
SheKnows Media is based in New York and Scottsdale, Ariz., with offices in Los Angeles and Chicago. We also operate internationally in Canada, Australia and the United Kingdom.