CRANBURY, N.J.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--CURE Media Group, the nation’s leading consumer digital and print media enterprise focused entirely on patients with cancer, honored eight individuals who have made a difference in the field of rare blood cancers known as myeloproliferative neoplasms (MPNs). The celebration event will be held today at the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta.
“The MPN Heroes® Recognition Program celebrates these incredible individuals who work every day helping patients and families. Honoring these outstanding caregivers and advocates reflects our dedication to the cancer community,” said Michael J. Hennessy Jr., president of Michael J. Hennessy Associates, Inc., parent company of CURE Media Group.
Keynote speaker Dr. Jill Biden, former second lady of the United States (2009-2017), educator and cancer advocate, joined in honoring these eight remarkable individuals. Dr. Biden has been a voice for the cancer community since 1993, when her friends were diagnosed with breast cancer. After losing her son, Beau Biden, to cancer in 2015, she continued to be a supporter by collaborating with Joe Biden to drive a national movement to ending cancer as we know it.
This year’s event honors outstanding caregivers, advocates, and medical professionals, who have gone above and beyond their given professional roles to make a difference in the lives of their patients or the MPN community. The following individuals were recognized in the Commitment to the Individual category:
- Barbara Abernathy, Ph.D., LMHC, has dedicated her professional and personal life to advocating for patients and raising awareness for MPNs. Dr. Abernathy’s philanthropic efforts provide education and peer-to-peer support to patients who have been newly diagnosed with MPNs.
- Mark Heaney, M.D., Ph.D., offers personalized care and support to a practice of over 100 patients. Dr. Heaney has conducted many studies in MPNs and has helped develop new therapies during his 15 years in the field.
- Susan Leclair, Ph.D., CLS (NCA), has touched many lives in the MPN community by providing education through conferences, symposia, and webinars. Her approach to individualized care has helped her patients overcome many obstacles.
- Lindsey Lyle, M.S., is renowned for her compassionate and individualized care. She serves as a pillar of strength and comfort to many of her patients by being at their side during their therapies.
The second category honors MPN specialists, whose efforts have helped the broader MPN community:
- Gabriela Hobbs, M.D., contributes to the MPN community through research and clinical trials. Her clinical and scientific efforts have provided a greater understanding of pathway perturbations, which helps design new therapies and diagnostics.
- Catriona Jamieson, M.D., Ph.D., collaborates with clinicians and researchers to provide accessible and personalized care to the MPN community. Her warm and calm behavior and commitment to the broader MPN community, has made her a favorite among her patients.
- Julie Libon, MPN patient advocate, serves as an influential and active member in the MPN community. Her dedication to finding a cure helped organize a fund-raising event, HikeMF, which helped raise over $20,000 for research.
- Carole Miller, M.D., has helped build and expand St. Agnes Cancer Institute’s research program, which led to many breakthroughs in medical oncology. Dr. Miller also provides education and resources to patients and physicians to better understand MPNs and therapies.
The MPN Heroes® Recognition Event is sponsored by Incyte Corporation and CURE Media Group, publishers of CURE® magazine. Incyte partners with CURE Media Group to support the MPN Heroes® program, with CURE hosting the annual MPN Heroes® Celebration Event recognizing heroes of the MPN community. Supporting the MPN community is an ongoing effort of Incyte, a global biopharmaceutical company that discovers and develops novel medicines to meet serious unmet medical needs in oncology and other diseases. To raise awareness and to enhance research, Incyte will make a monetary donation in honor of the MPN Heroes to organizations to help individuals living with MPNs.
Visit www.curetoday.com/events/mpn to learn more about this year’s MPN Heroes and the 2017 Recognition Program Rules and Judges. Individuals or entities supported through funding or directed by Incyte are not eligible for consideration or recognition as MPN Heroes.
CURE Media Group is the leading resource for cancer updates, research and education. It combines a full suite of media products, including its industry leading website, CUREtoday.com; innovative video programs, such as CURE Connections®; a series of widely attended live events; and CURE® magazine, which reaches over 1 million readers. CURE Media Group is part of the Cranbury, New Jersey-based Michael J. Hennessy Associates, Inc., family of businesses, which includes the acclaimed OncLive® (http://www.onclive.com) platform of resources for the practicing oncologist. For more information, visit http://www.curetoday.com or http://www.mjhassoc.com.
Incyte Corporation is a Wilmington, Del. -based biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery, development and commercialization of proprietary therapeutics. For additional information on Incyte, please visit the company’s website at http://www.incyte.com.
Follow @Incyte on Twitter at https://twitter.com/Incyte.
MPN Heroes is a registered trademark of Incyte.