WESTBOROUGH, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Kopin Corporation (NASDAQ:KOPN), a global pioneer in wearable AR and VR technologies for government, enterprise, professional sports and consumer markets, today announced that the Company and its ODM partner Goertek Inc (“Goertek”) have been named a CES 2018 Innovation Awards Honoree for the ultra-compact Elf VR head mounted display (HMD) reference design. The Elf VR reference design eliminates the barriers and limitations that have long stood in the way of delivering an effective VR experience due to uncomfortably bulky and heavy headset designs, low resolution, sluggish framerates and the annoying pixelated “screen-door effect.”
“We created the Elf VR head mounted display reference design to showcase how Kopin’s advanced display technologies can take the experience offered by VR headsets to new heights,” said Kopin founder and CEO Dr. John C.C. Fan. “The ultralight Elf reference design features Kopin’s LightningTM OLED display panel with a 2048 x 2048 resolution in each eye, delivering lifelike VR experience to the wearer. We believe that winning the CES Innovation Award reinforces the efforts Kopin is making to help manufacturers create smaller, lighter, more practical next-generation VR headsets that are capable of producing a visual experience that truly approaches reality for markets including gaming, pro applications or film.”
- Elf VR weighs only 300 grams and is less than half the size and weight of popular VR headsets in the industry.
- Elf VR is equipped with Kopin LightningTM OLED microdisplay panels, which feature 2048 x 2048 resolution of each panel, to provide binocular 4K image resolution at 120Hz refresh rate. Combined with both 4K Ultra-High image resolution and 120Hz refresh-rate, Elf VR provides very smooth images with excellent quality, and effectively reduces the sense of vertigo.
- The microdisplay panels are manufactured with advanced ultra-precise processing techniques. Its pixel density (2,940 pixels per inch) is approximately 400% higher than conventional TFT-LCD, OLED and AMOLED displays, and the screen size reduced to approximately 1/5 at similar pixel resolution level.
- Elf VR also adopts an advanced optical solution with a compact multi-lens design that enables it to reduce the thickness of its optical module by up to 60% as well as reduce the total weight of the VR HMD by approximately 50%.
- The reference design supports two novel optics solutions – 70 degrees FoV for film-like beauty or 100 degrees FoV for deeper immersion.
The prestigious CES Innovation Awards are sponsored by the Consumer Technology Association, the owner and producer of CES 2018, the global gathering place for all who thrive on the business of consumer technologies, and have been recognizing achievements in product design and engineering since 1976.
During CES which runs January 9 – 12, 2018, Kopin will be demonstrating the Elf unit at its suite by invitation only.
Kopin Corporation is a leading developer and provider of innovative wearable technologies and critical components for integration into wearable computing systems for military, industrial and consumer products. Kopin’s technology portfolio includes ultra-small displays, optics, speech enhancement technology, voice-interface and hands-free control software, low-power ASICs, and ergonomically designed smart headset reference systems. Kopin’s proprietary components and technology are protected by more than 300 global patents and patents pending. For more information, please visit Kopin’s website at www.kopin.com.
Kopin and Lightning are trademarks of Kopin Corporation.
View source version on businesswire.com: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170105005582/en/