FRAMINGHAM, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The worldwide hardcopy peripherals market grew 1.0% year over year in the third quarter of 2017 (3Q17) with shipments reaching nearly 25.3 million units, according to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker. Inkjet units experienced 4.0% year-over-year growth while the laser market saw a decline of 1.2% compared to the same quarter in 2016. Shipment value declined 4.9% year over year to almost $13 billion.
Notable highlights from the third quarter of 2017 include:
- HP Inc. remained the top company in the worldwide hardcopy peripherals market with shipment growth of 3.3% year over year producing market share of 38.7% for the quarter. Second-ranked Canon and third-ranked Epson had the weakest results among the top 5 vendors with year-over-year growth of 0.6% and -1.0%, respectively. Brother gained some market share in the number 4 position with shipment growth of 3.9% while fifth-ranked Samsung outperformed the other companies in the top 5 with year-over-year shipment growth of 6.5%.
- The contractual segment recorded year-over-year growth of 3.6% to over 1.7 million units shipped.
- Business inkjet shipments also grew 3.3% year over year to approximately 2.5 million units with inkjet MFPs accounting for 90.0% of business inkjet shipments in 3Q17.
- The laser and inkjet markets in Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan) posted year over year growth of 10.5% and 4.4%, respectively.
|Worldwide Hardcopy Peripherals Market, Unit Shipments, Company Share, and Year-Over-Year Growth, Q3 2017 (based on unit shipments)|
|1. HP Inc||9,785,933||38.7%||9,472,036||37.9%||3.3%|
|2. Canon Group||4,940,285||19.6%||4,911,139||19.6%||0.6%|
|Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, November 2017|
- IDC tracks A2-A4 devices in the Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals
- Hardcopy Peripherals include single-function printers, multifunctional systems (MFPs), and single-function digital copiers (SF DC). Data for all vendors are reported for calendar periods.
- Vendor shipments are branded shipments.
In addition to the table above, a graphic illustrating worldwide market share for the top 5 hardcopy peripherals companies over the previous five quarters is available by viewing this press release on IDC.com.
IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker provides market data on the global hardcopy peripherals (single function printer, multifunction printer, and single function digital copier) market. Historical data are provided by vendor, distribution channel, end-user segment, speed range, price band, configuration, model family, and format size. Forecast details include units, value, ASV, price band, and speed range by product by country by region.
For more information about IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, please contact Phuong Hang at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About IDC Trackers
IDC Tracker products provide accurate and timely market size, vendor share, and forecasts for hundreds of technology markets from more than 100 countries around the globe. Using proprietary tools and research processes, IDC's Trackers are updated on a semiannual, quarterly, and monthly basis. Tracker results are delivered to clients in user-friendly excel deliverables and on-line query tools.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. With more than 1,100 analysts worldwide, IDC offers global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. IDC's analysis and insight helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based technology decisions and to achieve their key business objectives. Founded in 1964, IDC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of International Data Group (IDG), the world's leading media, data and marketing services company that activates and engages the most influential technology buyers. To learn more about IDC, please visit www.idc.com. Follow IDC on Twitter at @IDC and LinkedIn.
All product and company names may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.