NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Monetate, the leader in personalization for brands worldwide, has unveiled its analysis of ecommerce activity during Thanksgiving and Black Friday 2017. With analysis representing more than 200 million U.S. consumer touchpoints across desktop, mobile, and tablet in the past two days, data indicates Thanksgiving ecommerce activity surpassed Black Friday for the second year in a row, with Average Order Values (AOVs) higher on Thanksgiving ($154.15) than Black Friday ($142.86).
While the entire holiday season is critical for retailers, Thanksgiving and Black Friday shopping are particular indicators of how successful the season will be. In fact, research from Monetate based on 11 million purchases from 2013-2016 shows that 67 percent of companies that don’t hit their multi-year Black Friday average will fail to hit their multi-year rest of the holiday season average. In addition to higher AOVs, conversion rates were also slightly higher on Thanksgiving compared to Black Friday, 3.2 percent and 3.1 percent respectively. Activity on mobile on Thanksgiving was also up, with conversion rates up 14.9 percent and cart rates up 14.4 percent.
Other key findings include:
- Back to Desktop: AOVs for desktop were the highest of any channel at $173.92 on Thanksgiving – a 5 percent increase from 2016
- Spend More, Buy Less: while AOVs on desktop were higher than 2016, conversion rates were down 3 percent and 24 percent on Thanksgiving and Black Friday, indicating shoppers are spending more on fewer transactions
- Couch Surfing: mobile page views were up a staggering 30 percent on Thanksgiving, indicating consumers might have researched on their phones from the comfort of their homes and then purchased elsewhere
- Apple vs. Android: those purchasing from iOS devices, including phones and tablets, spent more than those purchasing from Android devices on Thanksgiving Day and Black Friday, with Apple users spending $139.33 and $128.48 vs. $116.33 and $110.83 for those who favor Google devices
- Global Trends: on Black Friday, U.S. shoppers spent, on average, $142.86, while U.K. shoppers were slightly more conservative at $136.65; Canadian shoppers, on the other hand, had AOVs of $157.56
“Instead of braving lines and crowded stores following a Thanksgiving meal, consumers are stocking up on gifts in the comfort of their own homes. For the second year in a row, conversion rates were higher on Thanksgiving than Black Friday, and mobile buying is continuing to rise,” said Lucinda Duncalfe, CEO of Monetate. “We know that ecommerce activity during critical shopping days like Thanksgiving and Black Friday are indicative of overall performance for a brand. Retailers should focus on delivering an optimized ecommerce experience across all channels, especially mobile, if they want to win this holiday season.”
Monetate is committed to helping brands maximize the results they receive from ecommerce activity, especially during the busiest times of the year. The company’s multi-channel personalization platform, the Monetate Intelligent Personalization Engine, is powered by machine learning, which helps retailers create, test and target experiences with improved relevance for every customer across web, email, mobile apps, in-store, and other touchpoints. By optimizing the customer experience across all channels, retailers build customer loyalty, drive higher conversion rates, and grow revenue.
This is the first of multiple ecommerce analyses that Monetate will issue during the 2017 holiday shopping season. If you’re a member of the media interested in receiving the latest data when they are made available, contact Monetate@v2comms.com.
Monetate, the global leader in personalization software for consumer-facing brands, enables marketers to create experiences with improved relevance for every customer, increasing their engagement and boosting business outcomes.
The Monetate Intelligent Personalization Engine makes it easy to test and optimize, segment and target, and even create true 1-to-1 experiences. With all this in one personalization solution, marketers have the flexibility to leverage proven approaches to improve the customer experience across web, email, mobile apps, in-store, and other touch points. The Engine also covers all aspects of the customer’s experience with your brand, from content and creative to product recommendations and offers.
The most complete, powerful, and easiest solution for optimizing and personalizing your customers’ experiences, Monetate’s platform is:
- Open, so you can use all of your data wherever it sits, push a decision to any touchpoint, and pull the results back into your data/analytics infrastructure
- Real-time, to enable interactions based on a customer’s in-session behavioral and event data that get their attention in increasingly narrow buying windows
- Simple, making it easy to increase the relevance of offers, creative, and products you put in front of your customers
- Powered by Artificial intelligence, giving you the power to operate at 1-to-1 scale, for real
Founded in 2008, with offices in the U.S. and Europe, Monetate is used by leading brands around the world and influences billions of dollars in revenue every year for QVC, Newegg, Timberland, Carnival, The North Face, and hundreds of other market leaders.