CHICAGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The holidays are a great time for cheer, fun gatherings and decking the halls. ComEd offers customers tips to help them save and stay safe during the holidays.
Save Energy … Don’t Let the Grinch Steal Your Energy.
The grumpy, anti-holiday spirit Grinch may have been successful at stealing stuff from the residents of Whooville, but he could not steal their joy. Energy efficiency lighting is one way to fend off Grinchy costs. Here are a few tips to keep your holidays shiny and bright!
- Light up your home or business for the holidays by using energy-efficient ENERGY STAR certified decorative light strings. They use up to 75 percent less energy than conventional incandescent lights strands and are also cool to the touch.
- Power down all decorative lights when going to bed or leaving the house.
- Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for the number of light strands than can be safely connected together.
Stay Safe … How to Avoid Clark Griswold-like Decorating Calamities This Holiday.
While Clark Griswold wanted to light up the holidays for his family, his decorating tactics led to calamity! Make your holidays joyful by playing it safe; Follow these few tips to light up your home safely.
- Be aware of all the power lines when decorating outdoors. Never work near overhead power lines or anywhere there is a possibility of contacting an overhead power line – either directly or indirectly – with a ladder or other piece of equipment.
- Do not string lights on outdoor trees that are growing near or into power lines.
- Ensure decorative lights used outside are approved for outdoor use.
- Hang outdoor lights with insulated staples or hooks instead of nails or tacks.
Shop Wisely … It’s a Wonderful Marketplace.
George Bailey had to go to Mr. Potter for a loan, but by going to the ComEd Marketplace you can save money and energy. Visit the ComEd’s online Marketplace where you can shop and drop your energy costs.
- Invest in energy-efficient products - The Marketplace offers energy-efficient holiday lights, smart thermostats by Nest or ecobee and much more.
- Receive an instant rebate - The ComEd Marketplace is unique because it offers instant, point-of-purchase rebates on a curated set of competitively-priced energy management products, integrated customer support, and end-to-end fulfillment. With just a few clicks, ComEd customers can receive up to $100 discount on smart thermostats or save up to $30 off recommended six-packs of LED light bulbs. Visit www.ComEdMarketplace.com today to learn more.
Since launching in 2008, the ComEd Energy Efficiency Program has saved residential and business customers more than $2.7 billion in energy costs. To learn more about ComEd’s Energy Efficiency Program visit www.comed.com.
If you have a question about lowering your energy bills, we’ll give you some free advice. Just ask the Energy Doctor at ComEd.com/EnergyDoctor or submit a question to Energy.Doctor@ComEd.com
ComEd wishes its customers and their families a happy, safe and energy-efficient holiday season!
Commonwealth Edison Company (ComEd) is a unit of Chicago-based Exelon Corporation (NYSE: EXC), the nation’s leading competitive energy provider, with approximately 10 million customers. ComEd provides service to approximately 4 million customers across northern Illinois, or 70 percent of the state’s population. For more information visit ComEd.com, and connect with the company on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.