HOUSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--At Reliant’s inaugural Charity Flag Football Game, all-star student athletes and local media took to the field at the Houston Methodist Training Center to compete for the coveted bragging rights of being named the winning flag football team. But more importantly, eight Houston-area high school students were recognized for their leadership and dedication to academics, athletics and community, all while raising money for local charities.
“The Scholarship for Champions students stand out not only for their athletic and academic achievement, but also for their personal character and strength,” said Elizabeth Killinger, president, Reliant. “We are thrilled to celebrate these students’ accomplishments and support them in pursuing their dreams.”
Scholarship for Champions
Created from a partnership between Reliant and the Houston Texans, the Scholarship for Champions program celebrates each student’s athletic and academic performance, personal character and dedication to his or her community with a $5,000 scholarship. All winners play on varsity teams while maintaining a minimum 3.0 grade point average, and plan to pursue a college degree.
The 2017 winning students included:
- Kaloyan Bratanov, Varsity Swim Team Captain at Katy High School
- Jacob Comp, Football Team Center at Waller High School
- Talia Freeman, Golf Team Captain at Morton Ranch High School
- Travis Jacobs, Cross Country and Track Runner at Summer Creek High School
- Brenda Navarro, Tennis Team Captain at Sharpstown High School
- Doan Pham, Basketball Team Small Forward at Sharpstown High School
- Alaini Ramirez, Basketball Team Forward at B.F. Terry High School
- Christian Vega, Baseball Team Pitcher at Katy High School
The students are nominated by teachers, coaches and mentors in their high schools and selected by an independent judging panel. Each student was surprised at the Reliant Charity Flag Football Game, presented with the scholarship and also given a behind-the-scenes tour of NRG Stadium. Since its inception in 2005, the Scholarship for Champions program has awarded $440,000 to 88 students from the greater Houston area.
Reliant Charity Flag Football Game
The inaugural Charity Flag Football Game held at the Houston Methodist Training Center on November 14 brought together local Houston media to show off their football skills and raise money for their charity of choice. The media participants were given extra help on the field as the teams were a mix of media and the all-star student athletes who were named the 12th annual Scholarship for Champions award winners.
The following media partners participated in the inaugural game:
- Paul Gallant, Sports Radio 610 on behalf of St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital
- David Gow, Gow Media on behalf of Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund
- Garret Heinrich, Sports Radio 610 on behalf of Joubert Syndrome & Related Disorders Foundation
- Travis Herzog, KTRK-TV (ABC) on behalf of Houston Church Planting Network's Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund
- Craig Hlavaty, Houston Chronicle on behalf of Honor Flight Houston
- Jenny Jones, Houston Moms Blog on behalf of Common Threads
- Tom Koch, KTRK-TV (ABC) on behalf of Casa de Esperanza
- Britta Merwin, KPRC-TV (NBC) on behalf of The Foundation for Autism Care, Education and Services (FACES)
- Raheel Ramzanali, ESPN Radio and SportsMap on behalf of The Thankful Ones
- Cody Stoots, Sports Radio 610 on behalf of Rosenberg-Richmond Helping Hands
- Sherry Williams, KHOU-TV (CBS) on behalf of The H.E.A.R.T. Program (Housing, Entrepreneurship and Readiness Training)
About Reliant, an NRG company
Reliant powers, protects and simplifies life by bringing electricity, smart energy solutions, residential services and security to homes and businesses across Texas. Serving customers and the community is at the core of what we do. Reliant is part of NRG Energy, Inc. (NYSE: NRG), a Fortune 500 company that creates value through best-in-class operations and reliable and efficient electric generation. Backed by a diverse portfolio of power generating facilities, NRG’s retail companies, including Reliant, power almost 3 million customers in 10 states and the District of Columbia. NRG retail brands collectively are the largest providers of electricity in Texas. For more information about Reliant, please visit reliant.com and connect with Reliant on Facebook at facebook.com/reliantenergy and Twitter @reliantenergy. PUCT Certificate #10007.