MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--A new holiday survey from Coupons.com, Quotient Technology’s (NYSE: QUOT) flagship consumer brand, finds that 20-somethings plan to shop in-store more than any other age group this holiday season while older generations plan to shop more online. Participants in their 20s also believe they get the best deals on Black Friday or Cyber Monday, compared with older generations who tend to be more skeptical of the savings on those all-important retail days.
“20-somethings are savvy, using technology to find the best deals, and knowing not every great deal is online,” said Jeanette Pavini, Coupons.com savings expert. “Understanding how consumers view key shopping seasons helps Coupons.com serve more relevant coupons at the right time.”
The Coupons.com holiday survey, which was conducted in November 20171 with 1,052 participants across the United States explores consumer habits and current holiday sentiment around what Americans enjoy most about Thanksgiving; favorite and least favorite holiday foods; perceptions about just how good deals are on Black Friday and Cyber Monday; where people will most likely shop – online or in-store; how much money they plan on spending on gifts; and ways they look to save money.
Key findings from the survey:
- What not to talk about. 53 percent of Americans dread talking politics or President Trump at Thanksgiving this year.
- Who loves turkey? 45 percent of seniors (60+) ranked turkey as their favorite part of the meal, compared to 25 percent of 20-somethings.
- Pass the comfort food. While only 23 percent of 20-somethings said mashed potatoes are a favorite, that was higher than every other group. Seven percent of seniors cited mashed potatoes as a favorite dish.
- Let them eat pie. The course almost everyone will enjoy: Dessert, which less than 1 percent of those surveyed said they dislike.
- Did you really cook that? Absolutely, lied one in four 20-somethings (24 percent to be precise). Those over age 30 were far less likely to fib about what they brought (10 percent).
- Nice gifts cost, so save. 65 percent of Americans said they plan to use coupons when buying groceries for the holidays.
Black Friday and Cyber Monday
- Braving the crowds. 64 percent of 20-somethings believe they find the best deals on Black Friday or Cyber Monday, whereas all other age groups don’t believe those days offer the best deals. For instance, only 38 percent of the over 60 crowd believe those days are the smartest shopping days.
- Are the best deals after the holidays? Sure, say anyone 30 and older (45 percent).
- Meet you at the mall. 55 percent of 20-somethings plan to shop in-store, higher than any other generation.
- Who’s shopping online? 22 percent of 30 – 44 year olds will shop from their phones vs. 18 percent of 20-somethings; 30 percent of 45 – 59 year olds will shop via computer compared to 20 percent of 20-somethings.
- What’s the spend this holiday season? More than half of Americans (51 percent) plan to spend under $500 total on holiday gifts.
About Quotient Technology Inc.
Quotient Technology Inc. (NYSE: QUOT) is a leading digital promotions, media and analytics company that connects brands, retailers and shoppers. We distribute digital offers and media through a variety of products, including digital paperless coupons, digital printable coupons, coupon codes and card-linked offers. We operate Quotient Retailer iQ™, a digital coupon platform that connects into a retailer’s point-of-sale system and provides targeting and analytics for manufacturers and retailers. Our distribution network includes our flagship app and site, Coupons.com, as well as Grocery iQ®, our thousands of publisher partners and, in Europe, the Shopmium mobile app. We also operate Crisp Media, which delivers mobile marketing campaigns. We serve hundreds of consumer packaged goods companies, such as Clorox, Procter & Gamble, General Mills and Kellogg’s, as well as top retailers like Albertsons Companies, CVS, Dollar General, Kroger and Walgreens. Founded in 1998, Quotient is based in Mountain View, Calif. Learn more at Quotient.com, and follow us on Twitter @Quotient.
1 The Coupons.com Holiday Survey was conducted by SurveyMonkey in November 2017 and based on 1,052 responses. The sample was balanced by age, gender and region. We define 20-somethings as 18 – 29-year-olds.