MIAMI--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Creative Thread Foundation, a non-profit organization focused on creating pipelines and opening doors for multicultural representation, diversity, and inclusion in the media, entertainment, and communications industries, today announced its founding Board members. The Foundation was launched this summer by FUSION TV along with more than 60 other noteworthy companies, public interest groups, and associations.
The inaugural Board is comprised of industry experts and forward thinking national leaders poised to provide invaluable counsel and play a significant role in shaping the Foundation’s work. The board is chaired by Professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. and Eduardo Soto will serve as Vice-Chair. The inaugural Board includes members from a variety of professional sectors, including non-profit, corporate, industry associations, universities, and public interest groups:
- John C. Yang, President & Executive Director of Asian Americans Advancing Justice – AAAJ
- Antonio Tijerino, President & CEO of the Hispanic Heritage Foundation
- Megan Hauck, Director of the IAB Education Foundation
- John Gibson, Advisor for Inclusion & Multicultural Outreach at the Motion Picture Association of America
- Marcellus Alexander, Executive Vice President, Television at the National Association of Broadcasters and President, NAB Education Foundation
- Rev. Al Sharpton, Founder & President of the National Action Network
- Benjamin Lopez, Executive Director at the National Association of Latino Independent Producers
- Felix Sanchez, Chairman & Co-Founder at the National Hispanic Foundation for the Arts
- Alex Nogales, President & CEO of the National Hispanic Media Coalition
- Marc Morial, President & CEO of the National Urban League
- Loris Taylor, President & CEO of Native Public Media
- Joseph Fortson, Vice President, Government Affairs at Nielsen
- Kimberly Hulsey, Vice President, Legal & Government Affairs at Scripps Networks Interactive
“With their extensive experience and unique voices, our Board members will help inform and steer the Foundation’s efforts toward greater impact in closing the diversity gap in the media, entertainment, and communications industries,” said Creative Thread Foundation Chair Professor Gates.
The Creative Thread Foundation’s mission centers on four key areas:
- Breaking down barriers to entry for underrepresented content creators and those working behind the scenes in the media and entertainment industry;
- Creating pipelines and mentorship opportunities for recognizing and promoting talent and projects that reflect America’s diverse reality;
- Sharing best practices to allow for better recruitment, retention, and awareness of underrepresented content creators; and
- Encouraging coalitions of corporations, industry associations, universities, and public interest groups to work together to provide better opportunities for multicultural content creators and to develop content featuring and representing untold stories of underrepresented groups.
For more information about the Creative Thread Foundation visit CreativeThreadFoundation.org.
From going deep on cultural obsessions to telling impactful stories that inspire and connect us, FUSION is a network that serves up a unique blend of programming that reflects the passions and shared values of America’s diverse youth. The FUSION Creative Board is made up of a cross-section of marquee talent including award-winning actors, filmmakers, academics, and musicians who share the network’s commitment to seeking out the next generation of creative talent and emerging voices. Henry Louis Gates Jr. serves as the Chairman of the Creative Board. FUSION is available to audiences across a range of platforms including cable television (find out where to watch), FUSION.net, and various OTT providers such as Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, PlayStation Vue, among others. Follow the network on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
FUSION is a part of the Fusion Media Group (FMG). FMG is one of the leading digital publishers in the U.S., serving over 100 million readers a month — more than one-third of all Americans. FMG includes some of the web’s most beloved media brands under one roof, including The A.V. Club, Clickhole, Deadspin, Earther, Gizmodo, Jalopnik, Jezebel, Kotaku, Lifehacker, The Onion, The Root, Splinter, and others. In addition, FMG produces content across a range of formats and platforms through the FUSION cable network and its long-form development and production studios, Story House Entertainment and Onion Studios.