NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Travelers Companies, Inc. (NYSE: TRV) today announced that it has been included as a component of the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices’ North America Index for the 11th consecutive year. Companies are selected based on an assessment of their long-term economic, environmental and social practices. Only companies that lead their industries based on this assessment are included in the indices.
“Creating long-term shareholder value is not just something we talk about, it’s how we operate, and doing the right things for our customers, employees and communities is a critical part of that,” said Brian MacLean, President and Chief Operating Officer of Travelers. “We are proud to be included on the Dow Jones Sustainability Index year after year and see it as an important measure of our company’s social responsibility efforts and our culture.”
Travelers strives to be a leader in corporate citizenship through various environmental, social and governance initiatives.
Environment and sustainability
Travelers promotes responsible environmental practices that seek to reduce its carbon footprint and build resilient communities through a number of initiatives, including:
- Developing insurance products to encourage adoption of fortified home construction, green buildings and hybrid/electric vehicles.
- Ensuring all Travelers-owned campuses are ENERGY STAR® certified and undergo an annual recertification process.
- Demonstrating climate risk transparency through the annual NAIC Insurer Climate Risk Survey and CDP response.
- Partnering with Habitat for Humanity® and Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety (IBHS) to construct IBHS FORTIFIED™ homes in coastal areas.
- Providing the annual Excellence in Community Resilience Award to recognize organizations that demonstrate leadership in addressing disaster preparedness and community resiliency.
Social responsibility and investment in employees and communities
From charitable giving and employee volunteer activities to signature philanthropic programs, Travelers helps its communities in a number of ways. The company is also committed to ensuring that its hiring practices and employee engagement activities cultivate a diverse, inclusive and sustainable workforce. Examples include:
- Providing more than $200 million in charitable giving through Travelers and the Travelers Foundation over the past decade.
- Hiring and developing a diverse and sustainable workforce, including through eight Diversity Networks, leadership and development programs, and entry-level diversity recruiting programs.
- Serving as a leader in public policy through the Travelers Institute, including symposia series on disaster preparedness, consumer insurance education, cyber risks and assisting small businesses in overcoming everyday challenges.
- Launching the Small Business Risk Education program in 2012 to help women and minority small business owners learn about risk management, develop safety risk management plans and qualify for microloans.
- Establishing Travelers EDGE® in 2007 to increase the number of underrepresented students who complete bachelor’s degrees and are prepared for careers. Travelers EDGE has supported more than 400 underrepresented scholars and has a 73 percent success rate of students obtaining bachelor’s degrees or remaining in the program.
Governance and transparency
The company operates ethically and with integrity to promote the long-term interests of its shareholders through practices and initiatives that include:
- Having 12 of 13 Board members independent, with Risk, Audit, Nominating and Governance, Investment and Capital Markets, and Compensation committees composed of and chaired by independent directors.
- Ensuring a diverse Board in terms of gender, ethnicity, experience and skills. In accordance with the Company’s Governance Guidelines, in selecting future director nominees, the Board considers, among other criteria, diversity of viewpoints, background, experience and other demographics.
- Integrating enterprise risk management in its operations, with oversight by both Board and Management Risk Committees.
- Ensuring that 100 percent of employees complete training on and certify compliance with the Travelers Code of Conduct.
To learn more about the company’s environmental, social and governance practices, visit the Commitment to Corporate Citizenship section of the Travelers website.
Launched in 1999, the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices were the first global sustainability benchmark, tracking the financial performance of the world’s leading companies in terms of sustainable business practices. For more about the indices, visit www.sustainability-indices.com.
The Travelers Companies, Inc. (NYSE: TRV) is a leading provider of property casualty insurance for auto, home and business. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, Travelers has approximately 30,000 employees and generated revenues of approximately $28 billion in 2016. For more information, visit www.travelers.com.