MILPITAS, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Efficient Drivetrains, Inc. (EDI), a global leader in advanced high-efficiency zero emissions hybrid and electric drivetrain solutions, today announced the expansion of its solutions portfolio into the rapidly growing construction industry. In partnership with Shannxi Automotive, the world’s tenth largest medium and heavy duty truck manufacturer, the companies are introducing an industry-first, zero-emissions, plug-in hybrid electric (PHEV) cement mixer truck--created to significantly reduce emissions and fuel consumption in China. The collaboration integrates the Efficient Drivetrains EDI PowerDrive™ 8000 PHEV drivetrain and EDI PowerSuite™ vehicle control software into a Shaanxi Automotive, Class-8, 32-ton cement mixer truck. The initial vehicle is currently in final stages of integration and testing, and will be completed for field deployment in Q4 of 2017.
The immense scale of urbanization in China—the fastest in history, paired with rigorous government-led mandates to reduce emissions has created a substantial rise in the electrification of medium and heavy duty vehicles. Shaanxi Automotive has proactively committed to new energy as part of its portfolio of vehicle offerings, and continues to lead the way in providing zero-emissions vehicles featuring electric as a primary fuel source--comprising almost 50% of its market share. The collaboration between Efficient Drivetrains and Shaanxi Automotive to capture the construction industry marks the third successful initiative for the two companies, with PHEV mass transit and port truck offerings available today as part of previous engagements.
With the integration of EDI’s drivetrain and vehicle control software into the Class-8 PHEV cement mixer truck—fleet operators will benefit from significant reduction in fuel consumption, and eliminates the need for engine idle by electrifying the operation of the mixer. Truck operators will experience the expected full power vehicle performance of the OEM, while eliminating harmful emissions. The demonstration vehicle also utilizes a low-cost drivetrain system, which makes electrification of construction vehicles an affordable option for OEMs in China.
- EDI has collaborated with Shaanxi Automotive, tenth largest medium and heavy duty manufacturer in the world to develop an industry-first PHEV construction truck
- The company has integrated its EDI PowerDrive™ 8000 PHEV drivetrain and EDI PowerSuite™ vehicle control software into a Shaanxi Class-8, 36-ton cement mixer truck
- The truck utilizes a cost effective plug-in hybrid electric drive system-making rapid technology adoption possible for the construction industry
- Fleet operators benefit from significantly reduced fuel costs, and eliminates engine idle and emissions with the cement mixer operating electrically
- The company has collaborated with Shaanxi Automotive on three major initiatives thus far including PHEV: Class-6 and 7 city buses, Class-8 Port Vehicles, and the newest Class-8 Cement mixer vehicle
- EDI has a well-established market footprint in the Asia Pacific region, with multiple offices in China, as well as presence in India and Taiwan
- The modular architecture, and inline form of the EDI PowerDrive™ product family has enabled Shaanxi Automotive to quickly integrate EDI’s solution offering--making rapid market introductions possible across several industries, while providing full OEM vehicle performance expected by fleet operators
- To expedite market entry for vehicle OEMs, EDI is offering EDI PowerDrive™ PHEV and EV electrification kits and support programs for vehicle manufacturers, including control software and optional telematics for vehicle analytics and real-time fleet monitoring
“We continue to see a continuing and expanded industry trend towards the
electrification of medium and heavy duty trucks across the globe. EDI
established a market leadership position early on with our
differentiated portfolio of hybrid and electric drivetrain offerings,
and we continue to innovate to drive change for the commercial vehicle
industry. Our careful selection of distinguished influencer
partnerships-like those of Shaanxi, and platform deployments on other
major OEMs like Freightliner, Peterbilt, GM, Ford, International, and
others, has positioned the company well to capture the market share.”
-Joerg Ferchau, CEO, Efficient Drivetrains, Inc.
“The China government is working to an aggressive timetable to phase out
fossil-fuel powered vehicles, which has resulted in a paramount time for
EDI. Our high-caliber development organization in China is a testament
to our ability to rapidly design, innovate, and build electrified
vehicles for some of the world’s largest OEMs. We look forward to
continuing to bring PHEV and EV solutions to our expanding China
-Taylor Yu, Head of China Development, Efficient Drivetrains, Inc.
- Efficient Drivetrains Collaborates with Master Transportation to deliver industry’s first “Made in Taiwan” e-bus news release
- Efficient Drivetrains Receives Bus Production order for its EDI PowerDrive™ 6000 Systems news release
- EDI Selected by Four Major OEMS in China to Rapidly Deploy Electrified Buses news release
- EDI Announces Expansion of its EDI PowerDrive™ EV Series Solutions portfolio news release
- EDI on LinkedIn
- EDI on Facebook
- EDI Vehicle Project Videos
Efficient Drivetrains, Inc. (EDI) develops and markets a range of state-of-the-art PHEV and EV drivetrain solutions worldwide. EDI’s leading-edge hybrid-electric drivetrain systems and technologies enable OEMs to meet zero-emissions requirements while providing significant cost and efficiency advantages for parallel and series hybrid, and electric drivetrain architectures across nearly all platform classes and configurations. EDI is active in commercial automotive projects throughout North America and the APAC region. Visit www.efficientdrivetrains.com for more information.