DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The "Sudan - Telecoms, Mobile and Broadband - Statistics and Analyses" report has been added to Research and Markets' offering.
Sudan's Sudatel looks to further international expansion
Sudan makes up the northern part of a country which in 2011 was separated to form the new state of South Sudan. Three quarters of the former population live in the north, where mobile market penetration is far higher. The country has a relatively well-equipped telecommunications infrastructure by regional standards, including a national fibre optic backbone and international fibre connections.
The economy has performed poorly in recent years, partly due to the effects of having lost much of its oil reserves to South Sudan and partly due to domestic volatility and social unrest. This has hindered the ability of operators to develop revenue from services and sufficiently invest in infrastructure upgrades. Sudatel since 2016 has invested in rural tower infrastructure to improve connectivity, though such measures remain far below what is required.
Competition in the fixed-line market comes from Canar Telecom, which was also majority-owned by Etisalat until Etisalat sold its 92.3% interest to the Bank of Khartoum in mid-2016. The operator opted to adopt CDMA2000 technology to cost-effectively roll out fixed services. In April 2017 the company secured spectrum in the 2.5GHz band which has enabled it to launch LTE services.
- Sudatel reports 5.2% increase in revenue for H1 2017;
- Regulator awards 2.5GHz spectrum licence to Canar Telecom for LTE services;
- Emirates sells its 92.3% stake in Canar Telecom;
- Sudatel announces $267 million investment plan to 2020, contracts to build mobile towers in rural areas; launches LTA-A in Khartoum;
- Zain Sudan expands LTE services;
- Sudatel makes bid for MNO licence in Oman
Report update includes operator data to Q2 2017, recent market
Key Topics Covered:
1. Executive summary
2. Key statistics
3. Country overview
4. Telecommunications market
5. Regulatory environment
6. Fixed network operators
7. Telecommunications infrastructure
8. Fixed-line broadband market
9. Mobile market
- Zain Sudan
- MTN Sudan
- Canar Telecom (Canartel)
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/ncbppk/sudan_telecoms