THOUSAND OAKS, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Anthem Blue Cross (Anthem) is expanding its Medicare Advantage plans with plans in six additional counties – Kings, Madera, Tulare, Merced, Monterey, San Luis Obispo – for 2018, bringing the total to 21 counties where Anthem will make plans available to Medicare-eligible Californians. This expansion complements an already robust portfolio of health plans Anthem offers in the state, giving residents many choices. All of these plans are available for enrollment in this year’s Medicare annual election period (AEP).
The opportunity to enroll in a Medicare plan begins October 15 and continues through December 7. This is the one time each year when most people can pick or switch Medicare Advantage plans.
“Once again, we are privileged to offer consumers a variety of Medicare Advantage products, because we believe it’s important for consumers to have options as they look for the plan that fits their health care needs in 2018,” said Josh Martin, Medicare president of Anthem’s west region. “We put our experience to work to give members high-quality, affordable health care, allowing them to live the life they’ve earned.”
For 2018 insurance plans, individuals eligible for Medicare – people 65 years and older and those with certain disabilities – are able to enroll in Anthem MediBlue Plus (HMO), Anthem MediBlue Select (HMO), Anthem MediBlue Access (LPPO), Anthem Value Plus (HMO), Anthem StartSmart (HMO), or Anthem Diabetes, Heart, & Breathe (HMO SNP). Individuals with end-stage renal disease have access to Anthem MediBlue ESRD (PPO SNP) and Anthem ESRD (HMO C-SNP). Touch HMO is also available to individuals living in a nursing home or in community or assisted living.
Californians who are eligible for both Medicare and Medi-Cal – also known as dual-eligible – have the option of enrolling in Anthem’s dual-eligible plan – Anthem MediBlue Dual Advantage (HMO SNP).
Anthem also offers Anthem MediBlue Coordination Plus (HMO) and Anthem Connect Plus (HMO). These plans may be an option for individuals with low income subsidy (LIS) or dual-eligible status as the premiums, deductibles, and cost sharing may be covered through LIS subsidies or Medicaid.
“Anthem is one of the nation’s only insurers that can offer a full continuum of Medicare products, including something for every budget and lifestyle,” added Martin.
In addition to Medicare Advantage plans, Anthem offers standalone prescription drug plans (known as Part D plans) in all California counties for people who enroll in Original Medicare, a government-sponsored program. Both the MAPD and PDP plans utilize a preferred pharmacy network to help members save costs. This preferred cost-sharing pharmacy network is being enhanced for 2018 with the addition of 17 independent pharmacies in Bakersfield, CA. In 2018, MAPD will also add more hypertension medications for a $0 copay for some of Medicare’s most utilized medications.
Anthem also offers Medicare Supplement plans to Original Medicare enrollees all across the state. These plans help cover costs Original Medicare does not cover, such as copayments, coinsurance, and deductibles at any doctor or medical facility that accepts Medicare. These Supplement plans are generally paired with a prescription drug plan.
Information about Anthem Blue Cross Medicare Advantage plans.
Anthem Blue Cross Medicare Advantage plans for individuals eligible for Medicare:
Anthem MediBlue Plus (HMO) offers enrollees benefits such as $0
copay for an annual eye exam; $0 copay for an annual hearing exam; a
hearing aid benefit per year; and membership to SilverSneakers, a
fitness program tailored to older adults. This plan is available in
the following counties for a $0 monthly premium: Fresno, Kern, Kings,
Orange, Los Angeles, Madera, Riverside, Sacramento, San Bernardino,
San Diego, Tulare, Ventura, and Yolo. This plan is also available in
San Francisco County for a $29 monthly premium.
Residents in some of these counties have access to a personal emergency response systems (PERS), which gives them the ability to maintain their independence and delay, or possibly eliminate, the need to utilize assisted living services. Check plan details for availability.
- Anthem MediBlue Select (HMO) gives enrollees $0 monthly premiums and offers benefits such as preventive vision and dental coverage, a $3,000 hearing aid benefit per year, 12 one-way trips to pharmacy and medical visits, PERS, and SilverSneakers. Residents in Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, and San Francisco counties will have the option of enrolling into this plan for the 2018 plan year.
- Anthem MediBlue Access (LPPO) gives enrollees $0 copay annual oral exam, a $0 copay annual cleaning, and an annual $0 copay eye exam. Enrollees also given membership to SilverSneakers. The plan offers members more flexibility to see clinicians inside and outside of the network, with higher out-of-pocket costs when seeing doctors who are not in the network. Monthly premiums for this plan are $161. This plan is available to individuals in Orange County.
Anthem Value Plus (HMO) is a plan that gives enrollees access
to CareMore – a physician-led delivery system, harnessing an
integrated health care team to treat the whole person. CareMore
utilizes a clinical model designed to help members manage chronic
conditions. This plan offers $0 copay for an annual eye exam, $0 copay
for an annual hearing exam, and Nifty After Fifty – a clinically
supervised full-body training program for mature adults, created by
Anthem Value Plus (HMO) is available in Stanislaus County for a $48 monthly premium, San Benito and Santa Clara counties for a $54 monthly premium, and Los Angeles, Orange, and San Bernardino counties for a $0 monthly premium.
- Anthem StartSmart Plus (HMO) offers enrollees health care through the CareMore network. Enrollee benefits include, $1,000 allowance for hearing aids every three years, 12 routine chiropractor visits a year, Silver Sneakers, and Nifty After Fifty. This plan is available in Los Angeles, Orange, San Benito, San Bernardino, Santa Clara, and Stanislaus counties for a $0 monthly premium. Plan gives enrollees a $52 Part B premium reduction in Los Angeles, Orange County and San Bernardino only.
- Anthem Touch (HMO SNP) is another plan that offers care through the CareMore network. It is specially designed for Medicare beneficiaries living in a nursing home, or in a community or assisted living facility requiring the same level of care as someone in a nursing home. This plan also gives members benefits, services, and care designed to enhance the overall health and well-being of nursing home residents. This plan is available in Los Angeles, Orange, and Santa Clara counties.
Anthem Blue Cross Medicare Advantage plans for individuals eligible for Medicare and have specific chronic diseases:
- Anthem MediBlue ESRD (PPO SNP) is a plan specifically designed for individuals with end-stage renal disease and has a $35 per month premium. Its benefits include preventive vision and comprehensive dental coverage; 24 routine podiatry visits a year; 52 one-way trips to medical and pharmacy visits within 60 miles; and Live Health Online, a service that gives you access to medical professionals through your computer or mobile device. This plan is available to residents of Fresno, Kern, Kings, Madera, Merced, Monterey, San Diego, San Joaquin, San Luis Obispo, Stanislaus, Tulare and Ventura counties.
- Anthem Diabetes, Heart, & Breathe (HMO SNP) are plans available only to individuals who have specific chronic conditions. Enrollees utilize the CareMore network to manage the health care needs specific to their chronic condition. These plans offer $0 copay for an annual eye exam, $0 copay for an annual hearing exam, and Nifty After Fifty. The plan is available in Stanislaus County for a $59 monthly premium, Santa Clara County for a $55 monthly premium, and Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino counties for a $0 monthly premium.
- Anthem ESRD (HMO SNP) is an insurance plan for individuals with end-stage renal disease (ESRD) and provides care through the CareMore provider network. Plan benefits include $0 copay for an annual eye exam, $0 copay for an annual hearing exam, a set number of one-way trips to plan-approved locations, and Nifty After Fifty. This plan is available to residents of Los Angeles, Orange, and San Bernardino counties with ESRD for a $0 monthly premium.
Anthem Blue Cross Medicare Advantage plan for dual-eligible individuals:
Anthem MediBlue Dual Advantage (HMO SNP) is a $0 premium plan
that gives members a number of competitive plan benefits, such as
preventive vision and comprehensive dental coverage, a $3,000 hearing
aid benefit per year, 24 podiatry appointments per year with $0 copay,
a quarterly stipend to pay for certain over-the-counter health
products, an allowance of one-way trips to pharmacy and medical
visits, the personal emergency response system (PERS), and
This plan is available to dual-eligible individuals residing in Fresno, Kern, Kings, Madera, Sacramento, San Francisco, Tulare, and Ventura counties.
Anthem Blue Cross Medicare Advantage plans for Medicare-eligible individuals and dual-eligible individuals:
Anthem MediBlue Coordination Plus (HMO) gives enrollees access
to preventive vision and comprehensive dental coverage, 24 acupuncture
visits per year, a $3,000 hearing aid benefit, 24 routine podiatry
visits per year, up to $125 per quarter for certain over-the-counter
health products, up to 48 one-way trips to medical and pharmacy
visits, PERS, and SilverSneakers.
This plan is available to residents of Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties at a $0 monthly premium for individuals eligible for both Medicare and qualifying Medi-Cal. Individuals in Riverside and San Bernardino counties eligible for Medicare only have a $35 premium and Medicare-eligible residents in Los Angeles and Orange County have a $35.50 premium.
- Anthem Connect Plus (HMO) is another plan that utilizes the CareMore integrated care delivery network for its enrollees. Plan benefits include $0 copay for annual routine eye exams, $0 copay for annual routine hearing exams, $0 copay for unlimited oral exams, and a $2,000 a year allowance for hearing aids. This plan is available in Los Angeles, Orange, Santa Clara, San Benito, and San Bernardino. Individuals with Medicare and full Medi-Cal eligibility pay a $0 monthly premium. Individuals eligible for just Medicare have a $33 monthly premium.
For details about Anthem’s Medicare plans in your area, call (855) 866-4242 or visit Anthem’s Medicare online store at https://shop.anthem.com/medicare/ca.
Anthem Blue Cross is an HMO plan with a Medicare contract. Enrollment in Anthem Blue Cross depends on contract renewal. Anthem Blue Cross is an HMO DSNP plan with a Medicare contract and a contract with the California Medicaid program. Anthem Blue Cross Life and Health Insurance Company is an LPPO CSNP plan with a Medicare contract. Anthem Blue Cross is an HMO CSNP plan with a Medicare contract. Enrollment in Anthem Blue Cross depends on contract renewal. This information is not a complete description of benefits. Contact the plan for more information. Limitations, copayments, and restrictions may apply. Benefits, premiums and/or co-payments/co-insurance may change on January 1 of each year. You must continue to pay your Medicare Part B premium. We do not discriminate, exclude people, or treat them differently on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability in our health programs and activities. 注意：如果您使用繁體中文，您可以免費獲得語言援助服務。請致電1-888-230-7338（TTY：711）。 ATENCIÓN: Si habla español, tiene a su disposición servicios gratuitos de asistencia lingüística. Llame al 1-888-230-7338 (TTY: 711). This plan is available to anyone who has both Medical Assistance from the State and Medicare. Premium, co-pays, co-insurance, and deductibles may vary based on the level of Extra Help you receive. Please contact the plan for further details. Other providers are available in our network. The provider network may change at any time. You will receive notice when necessary.
About Anthem Blue Cross
Anthem Blue Cross is the trade name of Blue Cross of California. Anthem Blue Cross and Anthem Blue Cross Life and Health Insurance Company are independent licensees of the Blue Cross Association. ANTHEM is a registered trademark of Anthem Insurance Companies, Inc. The Blue Cross name and symbol are registered marks of the Blue Cross Association. Additional information about Anthem Blue Cross and Anthem Blue Cross Life and Health Insurance Company is available at www.anthem.com. Also, follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/AnthemBC_News and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AskAnthem.