HARTFORD, Conn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--As Hurricane Harvey approaches the Texas Gulf Coast, Travelers (NYSE:TRV) encourages consumers and business owners in the region to take precautions to help keep their families, employees and property safe.
There are a number of steps homeowners and businesses can take to prepare for the storm’s impact, including:
- Check your local news or sign up for weather alerts for updates on the potential impact of severe weather in your area.
- Stay inside and away from all windows, skylights and glass doors. Do not go outside, even if the weather appears to have calmed. The “eye” of the storm can pass quickly, leaving you outside when strong winds resume.
- If you must evacuate, leave as soon as possible and be sure to tell someone outside of the storm area where you will be.
- To help prevent water damage, close and lock all windows and doors and remove any window air conditioners.
- Secure all outdoor objects or move them inside.
- Remove valuable items from your basement or elevate them off the floor.
- Check your sump pump and backup power source to confirm they are working properly.
For more information on preparing for a hurricane and other severe weather, visit the Travelers Prepare & Prevent website.
The Travelers Companies, Inc. (NYSE: TRV) is a leading provider of property casualty insurance for auto, home and business. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, Travelers has approximately 30,000 employees and generated revenues of approximately $28 billion in 2016. For more information, visit www.travelers.com.