BETHESDA, Md.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Honest Tea, the nation’s top-selling organic bottled tea company, announced the results of its annual National Honesty Index which found men and redheads are the most honest Americans. The National Honesty Index is a lighthearted, annual social experiment that reveals just how honest Americans are when put to the test. In its eighth year, Honest Tea added a twist to the experiment, giving Americans a chance to use honesty as currency, by sharing a refreshingly honest moment in exchange for an Honest Tea beverage.
San Diego and Atlanta ranked as the most honest cities in America, while Denver was found to be the least honest. Americans were unfiltered in their responses, mainly sharing moments and advice related to their own health habits and relationships with significant others, family, and even pets.
“The goal of the annual experiment is to encourage Americans to be a little bit more honest in their everyday lives,” said Ami Mathur, Honest Tea’s General Manager. “This year, we found that Americans are willing to be incredibly transparent about their own lives, and the results confirm that we are all perfectly imperfect and have more similarities than we could have ever imagined.”
From July 10 – August 3, 2017, Honest Tea monitored more than 10,000 interactions in 15 major cities across the United States, yielding fascinating results.
Highlights of the 2017 National Honesty Index include:
- San Diego ranked as the most honest city, followed by Atlanta and Nashville
- Men were slightly more honest than women across the nation (79% vs 74%)
- When it comes to hair color, redheads were the most honest (92%), followed by blondes (75%), grey-haired Americans ranked the least honest (45%)
- When it comes to relationships and cuddling, 1 in 3 people prefer to cuddle their pet over their significant other
- The truth about romantic relationships is that not everyone wants them – 1 in 5 people admitted to enjoying the single life and putting self-love before a relationship
- The intimacy signifiers: 60% of people suggested one of the top indicators of a healthy relationship was being open with bathroom habits (including farting), while 20% of Americans revealed that they have secretly used their partner’s toothbrush
- “Insta-stalking” is a top hobby for Americans – 3 in 5 Americans admitted to using social media to covertly “check in” on ex’s, friends and colleagues
- Americans can’t get enough of social media – 40% admitted to being addicted to their newsfeeds in some way
- Not all people go to the gym to work out, some go for an excuse to wear trendy gym clothes, to see a crush or for guilt-free indulgence in their favorite foods
- When talking about work-life balance, 1 in 3 people said mental health days were important to them
Honest Tea is donating $1 to VisionSpring, an organization which provides vision screenings and eyeglasses to underserved communities worldwide, for every bottle cap collected and every #RefreshinglyHonest moment submitted on social media. For three years, VisionSpring and Honest Tea have partnered to bring vision screenings and eye glasses to Honest Tea’s sourcing communities in Assam, India. For many, these screenings were the first ever received, and the glasses distributed as a result of the screenings have had a profound impact on the tea workers and their earning potential.
“We are proud to partner with Honest Tea and bring to life their exemplary commitment to worker wellbeing,” said Ella Gudwin, president of VisionSpring. “Through this partnership we created a clear vision workforce of 9,000 tea pickers. Funds raised from the Refreshingly Honest campaign enables us to help many more workers around the world acquire the eyeglasses they need to keep working.”
Visit https://www.honesttea.com/refreshinglyhonest/ to learn more about the VisionSpring partnership and the annual National Honesty Index.
ABOUT HONEST® TEA
Honest Tea, Inc. seeks to create and promote great-tasting, organic beverages and extend economic opportunities to communities in need. Founded in 1998 in Bethesda, MD, Honest Tea is the nation’s top-selling organic bottled tea company specializing in beverages that are Just a Tad Sweet®. Honest Tea’s product lines include: Honest® ready-to-drink bottled teas, Honest Kids® organic juice drinks, and Honest Sport®, a line of organic sports drinks. All beverages are USDA Organic and all tea leaves and cane sugar are Fair Trade Certified™. Honest Tea is a multi-year winner of awards from the Alliance for Workplace Excellence and a Montgomery County, MD Certified Green Business. In 2011, The Coca-Cola Company fully acquired Honest Tea, and there are passionate teams in both Bethesda, MD and Atlanta, GA--as well as across the country & around the world--working together to grow the brand.