STEVENS POINT, Wis.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--A balanced, nutritious diet is essential to healthy living, as well as a healthy smile. To celebrate National Smile Month and Smile Power Day (June 15), Delta Dental of Wisconsin, the state’s largest dental insurance provider, is contributing healthy food and toothbrushes to five food pantries across Wisconsin.
“Most people recognize that foods packed with vitamins and minerals lead to better health outcomes, but few realize the impact these foods have in averting gum disease and tooth decay,” said Dr. Fred Eichmiller, DDS, vice president and science officer at Delta Dental of Wisconsin. “Take carrots, for instance, which help in saliva production to prevent dry mouth and come packed with vitamin A to strengthen enamel.”
Delta Dental of Wisconsin understands that the cost of fresh produce inhibits people of all income levels to reach the daily recommended portions. As a result, they are providing fruits and veggies to food pantries over two days throughout Wisconsin to promote the importance of oral health.
Each donation site will receive $1,000 in fresh fruits, vegetables, and dairy products, in addition to 1,000 toothbrushes. Delta Dental of Wisconsin is putting its money where their healthy mouth is with $2,000 grants for each of the five pantries to restock on nutritious perishable foods for the rest of the year.
The recipients of the donations:
- Salvation Army Food Pantry, Milwaukee
- Dane County Food Pantry Network, Madison
- St. Francis Food Pantry, Eau Claire
- Salvation Army Food Pantry, Appleton
- The Neighbors Place, Wausau
Delta Dental invites Wisconsin consumers to get their hands dirty and help #GrowWISmiles. Ways you can participate:
- Help harvest – by growing your own fruits and veggies. And when you find yourself with too many zucchini and tomatoes…
- Give back – your extra produce or your time. Many food pantries accept (and welcome) fresh produce donations! Commit to volunteering, even a few hours, at a food pantry or community garden; most rely on volunteers to help support their operations.
- Spread the word – by sharing photos of your produce and volunteer efforts on social media with the hashtag #GrowWISmiles.
Delta Dental of Wisconsin employees will be helping “Grow Wisconsin Smiles” by volunteering at area food pantries and community gardens with a shared vision of yielding more smiles in Wisconsin.
About Delta Dental of Wisconsin
For more than 50 years, Delta Dental has been working to maintain healthy communities and healthy teeth. We provide dental benefits and services to more Wisconsin companies, subscribers and their family members than any other insurance carrier. Our mission is to improve oral health and wellness by extending access to care, advancing science and supporting an effective oral-health workforce. Through Delta Dental of Wisconsin’s Charitable Fund, we are committed to advancing solutions for Wisconsin’s oral health.