DALLAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--What the future holds for retail is on the minds of industry leaders around the world. For answers, look no further than Dallas, Texas. This morning, TreeHouse, the revolutionary home improvement company focused on making homes beautiful, healthy, and sustainable for everyone, officially opened its doors for business. The TreeHouse Dallas location is the first energy-positive big-box store in the world, meaning the store will generate excess renewable energy using solar panels, battery packs, and cutting-edge architectural design, then send unused energy back into the city grid.
“It is existentially urgent that our buildings not harm either ecological or human health,” says Jason Ballard, TreeHouse CEO and co-founder. “This building is an unbelievably important milestone for both the retail and architectural communities to show in grand fashion that buildings can be beautiful and human-centered in their design and also be positive contributors to people, communities, and nature. This building sets a completely new standard for ecological and human health and is an embodiment of what our company hopes to accomplish for homes as well.”
TreeHouse is disrupting the $1 trillion per year industry of home improvement. “The model of retail as essentially a warehouse full of products is under tremendous threat and pressure,” says Ballard. “What we have done is imagine our company as a hub for the whole experience and journey of home improvement. To that end, we have turned up design, education, experience, service, and technology to max volume. This store is a signpost that points to what the future will be like for both homes and retail.”
Ballard continues, “We asked ourselves what a home improvement store would look like if it were an answer to the question, ‘What is needed to actually help people make their homes better in every way?’ and everything else flowed from there. Working under the guidance of our mission and core principles, we are reinventing home improvement. We have curated different and better products, materials, and technologies. We have designed turn-key, high-quality services and programs, such as kitchen and bath design, solar energy outfits, home insulation and weatherization, comprehensive smart home installation, and more. We hire the best people. We educate, inspire, and collaborate. This is home improvement as it should have been all along.”
TreeHouse Dallas is the anchor tenant in the new The Hill redevelopment, a North Dallas shopping center being revived, refreshed, and repositioned by CAPREF Manager, LLC. The Hill is emerging as Dallas’ premier open-air retail center that also features a new slate of award-winning dining, home and healthy-living concepts.
“We are excited to welcome TreeHouse as the latest addition to The Hill,” said Todd Minnis, principal of CAPREF Manager, LLC. “In the coming months, TreeHouse will be at the center of a complete repositioning of The Hill as the destination for customers looking for new-to-market restaurants, entertainment, and retail concepts centered around a unique, community connected space.”
“I can’t say thank you enough to the city of Dallas, our business partners, and everyone who has helped make this landmark store become a reality,” concludes Ballard.
The Road to Energy Positive
Award-winning architecture firm Lake | Flato used TreeHouse’s approach to product and materials selection and worked at the bleeding-edge of building science and sustainable design to bring the energy positive store-of-the-future to life.
“We are proud to be a part of this landmark moment in building design,” says Lewis McNeel, AIA, project architect, Lake | Flato. “The TreeHouse team are ideal architectural collaborators. They brought to the table some very, very high technical and aesthetic aspirations for their new Dallas store and then challenged us to design one of the most sustainable buildings in the world. This is a building that will be studied and talked about for a long time.”
“There are only a handful of commercial buildings in the world at this level. We’re talking about something that only a few years ago might have seemed nearly impossible to pull off. For so long net-zero energy was this magical aspirational goal. This building is beyond net-zero… completely new territory,” adds Ballard.
TreeHouse & Lake | Flato were able to accomplish this by:
- Monitoring the Austin location to set a baseline of electricity consumption to model expected energy use of the Dallas location.
- Quantifying how much electricity could be saved through the use of daylight, LED lighting, and heat load reduction tactics.
- Designing features such as south-facing saw-tooth roofs oriented to maximize the effectiveness of a giant rooftop solar array. This notable building feature solved the need for extra space for solar panels. In addition, the north facing windows allow for indirect sunlight without the impact of direct heat, allowing for a cooler baseline temperature for the store.
- Utilizing a Tesla Powerpack to store and deploy the energy generated from the ultra-high efficiency SunPower solar array.
Ultimately, the unique and strategic store design, paired with onsite solar energy and battery storage systems, is able support the new store’s power needs and has allowed the store to be “energy-positive” and to provide any excess renewable energy back into the grid.
Only at TreeHouse
TreeHouse provides progressive products, great design, human-centered services, and leading edge technology together under one roof. A sample of unique products in which TreeHouse is the only retailer include:
- Haiku Fans: The Haiku ceiling fan is the most advanced ceiling fan in the world - reducing energy use through elegant design, incredible performance, and exceptional efficiency, as they are 700 percent more efficient than a standard ceiling fan.
- Haiku Lights: From sleek design and long-lasting LEDs to its range of user-focused features, Haiku Light fixtures represent effectiveness, convenience and efficiency at the highest level. With more than 2 billion unique feature combinations, Haiku Lights produce 50 percent more light than a typical 60-watt incandescent bulb and last more than 30 times as long.
- ROMABIO: The world’s first Cradle-to-Cradle Certified paint, ROMABIO is among the healthiest, most beautiful, and durable paints available in the world today. ROMABIO paints are derived from natural sources, using minerals and sustainable resources.
- FLOR Carpet Tiles: From Interface Carpets, “the most sustainable company in the world,” comes this beautiful line of modular residential carpet tiles.
Other top-selling TreeHouse products include:
- Tesla Powerwall: The groundbreaking battery for the home.
- Nest: TreeHouse is one of the top-selling locations of Nest smart home products in the country including the Nest Cam, Nest Protect, and Nest Thermostat.
- Nebia Shower Head: This Tim Cook backed Kickstarter phenomenon conserves thousands of gallons of water per year by atomizing droplets to create ten times more surface area and offer a spa-like shower experience.
- Dunn-Edwards Paint: The mission of Dunn-Edwards is to provide the best performing latex paint in an environmentally responsible manner. Its Zero Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) colorants perform the same as conventional colorants, but with no added VOC solvents. Zero VOC paint can remain 100 percent Zero VOC, even when tinted to the deepest colors.
- Bolefloor: The world’s first industrial-scale manufactured hardwood flooring features naturally curved lengths that follow a tree’s natural growth.
Ten Days of Giveaways
To celebrate the opening of the new store, TreeHouse will host “Ten Days of Giveaways” for its customers from June 2 – June 11. Every customer who visits the Dallas TreeHouse location during that ten-day timeframe can enter to win incredible prizes including a Nest Learning Thermostat, a Festool Drill + Accessory Kit, Dunn-Edwards Paints for the whole home, a GreenPan 11 Piece Venice Pro Set, a 150-gallon Poly-Mart Rain Barrel, Berkey Water Filters, a Lollygagger Outdoor Lounge Chair, and more!
The Dallas TreeHouse location is located at 8021 Walnut Hill just off US-75 and is open Monday through Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and Sunday from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. For more information, customers may call (214) 945-1040 or visit https://tree.house/.
Austin-based TreeHouse is a first-of-its-kind home improvement store. It specializes in curated products and services that promote healthy and sustainable spaces with an emphasis on high performance and design. Not your standard big box retailer, TreeHouse has two locations offering everything tied to thoughtful building. Customers come to find supplies and services that range from nontoxic paints and flooring to home solar systems. For more information, visit tree.house.