SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) was named as one of the best employers for veterans by Military Times, the trusted source for independent news and information for service members and their families. This is the second consecutive year the company has made the “Best for Vets: Employers” list in the ranking’s eight-year history.
The survey, conducted by the publishers of the Army Times, Navy Times, Air Force Times and Marine Corps Times, consisted of nearly 100 questions which focused on areas such as: recruiting veterans and service members, company culture, policies and reservist accommodations.
“Veterans know the importance of accountability, leadership and being safe on the job. These characteristics are essential as we continue to build a talented and diverse workforce to serve PG&E’s customers. We’re very proud to make this list,” said PG&E Vice President of Human Resources and former Army Captain Mary King.
PG&E’s endorsement of veterans dates back to World War I. The company has a strong commitment to veterans, as evidenced by its “1,000 Careers Project,” a long-term program with the goal of hiring 1,000 veterans into PG&E careers over the next eight years. Since the program’s inception, PG&E has hired 455 veterans—close to half of its goal in nearly two years. In addition:
- POWERPATHWAY™: This energy industry training program debuted in 2008 as a way to develop the next generation of the utility industry workforce. In almost a decade, 850 have graduated—including nearly 500 veterans. Among PowerPathway’s accomplishments over the last two years: creating a new program with transitioning military personnel, employing its first active service member who participated in the program and its first direct-to-hire class for customer service representatives.
- EMPLOYER SUPPORT OF THE GUARD AND RESERVE: PG&E has received numerous honors from the ESGR, a Department of Defense office that develops and maintains employer support for National Guard and Reserve service. In 2016, the company received the Extraordinary Employer Support Award for its sustained support of National Guard and Reserve service.
- TOP-100 MILITARY FRIENDLY EMPLOYER: PG&E has been recognized for five straight years as a Top-100 Military Friendly Employer by G.I. Jobs Magazine. In addition, the company was named as a 2017 Military Friendly Spouse Employer by Military Spouse Magazine.
- WORKING WITH VETERAN BUSINESSES: Disabled Veteran Business Enterprises (DVBE) are major business partners with PG&E. The company spent an all-time high of $224 million with DVBEs in 2016. The DVBE spend was part of a record $2.85 billion spend with diverse suppliers last year.
- VETERANS EMPLOYEE RESOURCE GROUP: This group was established in 2011. The organization’s goal is to educate, support and develop PG&E employees with military experience, as well as their supporters. Now in its sixth year, more than 1,100 employees have joined the group.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation (NYSE:PCG), is one of the largest combined natural gas and electric energy companies in the United States. Based in San Francisco, with more than 20,000 employees, the company delivers some of the nation’s cleanest energy to nearly 16 million people in Northern and Central California. For more information, visit www.pge.com and pge.com/news.