NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Univision Communications Inc. (UCI), the leading media company serving Hispanic America, is hosting its annual Upfront presentation on May 16 to unveil its 2017-2018 programming line-up and highlight how its portfolio offers deep engagement and unique opportunities for marketers to deliver results leveraging viewers’ passions. The presentation, titled “Proof of Passion,” will take place at the Lyric Theatre in New York City, and will be hosted by UCI’s President of Advertising Sales and Marketing Keith Turner, and EVP of Advertising Sales Steve Mandala, with special guest appearances and performances throughout the event.
Displaying UCI’s full spectrum of media brands and how they are utilized to create result-driven opportunities for marketers, UCI’s presentation will center on the concept of “Proof of Passion” and highlight the five passion points driving audience engagement – Soccer, News, Family, Music, and Drama. UCI’s commitment to developing these key content verticals in order to drive passion and create connections between audiences and advertisers allows marketers collaborating with UCI to reach a valuable consumer group – U.S. Hispanics. UCI also reaches valuable young and diverse audiences through a powerful group of digital-first, consumer-driven brands organized under the umbrella of Fusion Media Group (FMG). The recognized sophistication of FMG’s branded content creation and distribution capabilities provides marketers with access beyond Spanish-language, as each brand uniquely serves a different facet of the American youth consumer. To date, the Company estimates its full portfolio reaches on average 108 million unduplicated media consumers each month – a 34% year-over-year improvement resulting from UCI’s continued evolution.
“As Hispanic America’s most trusted media source, Univision knows best which passion points drive audience engagement and has the power to leverage those passion points for any brand not only looking to meaningfully connect with consumers across our multiple platforms but that delivers actionable results,” said Randy Falco, President and Chief Executive Officer of Univision Communications. “From more catered programming to improved access to content, we have enhanced our diverse portfolio to meet the needs of not only the next generation of American youth, but also our valued clients. Our strategy continues to center around connecting and engaging with the audiences of the future and maintaining our unwavering commitment to authenticity and excellence.”
“Passion for Univision’s content runs deep for Hispanic America and millennials, regardless of language. There’s no doubt that in media, content drives passion and creates connections between audiences and advertisers while delivering results,” said Turner. “Whether it’s news, soccer, drama, family or music content, we believe we are uniquely positioned to engage and capture the passion of our viewers and create enhanced growth opportunities for our partners. Our portfolio, combined with the unique passion within our content and among our audience, enables us to adapt and change as our audiences’ and partners’ needs evolve.”
The presentation will highlight UCI’s portfolio across five key content verticals, which include:
- Soccer – Univision Deportes has solidified its role as the home of soccer and strengthened Univision Deportes Network’s (UDN) position as the No. 1 Spanish-language sports network in the U.S., delivering three times more soccer viewing opportunities than any other broadcaster. In 2016 alone, UDN primetime viewership grew by 33% among adults 18-49 and five out of the top six most watched live sporting events among Hispanics – in any language – were soccer matches on UDN. This year, UDN will continue to deliver more soccer coverage than ever before, expanding on the Company’s position in the space and showcasing the importance of the sport in Hispanic culture. Starting in the summer of 2018, Univision Deportes will begin airing one of soccer’s most prestigious competitions, the UEFA Champions League. The matches will air exclusively in Spanish across UCI’s linear and digital platforms. Also, in the summer and fall of 2018, Univision Deportes will brings fans the UEFA Europa League and UEFA Nations League, respectively, across its platforms.
- News – Now more than ever, Hispanic America has an increased desire for trusted information on issues that directly impact their lives. As the spectrum of news continues to evolve and trust in news sources becomes more important, UCI remains the U.S. Hispanic community’s primary and most reliable source, delivering more news content across more dayparts and platforms than any other network, regardless of language. Univision News has spent decades earning the leading credibility and trust among viewers and, importantly, as the news watching demographic has changed, UCI has changed with it. The Univision Network is now also the No. 1 news source for Hispanic millennials, which means UCI is the No. 1 way for marketers to engage with this key demographic. UCI launched Edicion Digital, a noon news franchise – one that is unlike anything else on TV – which simultaneously airs live from the newsroom on Facebook and across other UCI digital platforms to engage with the new generation of consumers. UCI will also continue to offer news content and grow its portfolio of news assets to engage a broader audience through multiple compelling platforms.
- Family – It is no secret that Hispanics are passionate about family – in fact, 70% of Hispanics believe that commitment to family is the most important cultural aspect to preserve. This important nuance has helped inform UCI’s cohesive primetime strategy across the Univision, UniMás and Galavisión networks. With family-oriented programming, UCI is cementing its brand loyalty, while connecting marketers to multi-generational families and securing future viewers among Generation Z. The upcoming season will continue to feature family-friendly entertainment that appeals to multiple generations, such as unscripted competition and game shows, dramas and sitcoms that keep the family engaged. The second season of Pequeños Gigantes USA, a Univision Studios production, which builds on a winning strategy that delivered an uptick in family co-viewing and audience growth among kids aged 2-17, will return to delight Hispanic families. The new broadcast season will also feature “Tu Cara Me Suena” (Your Face “Sounds” Familiar), in which well-known celebrities will accept the challenge of singing live while impersonating a music icon; “A Jugar en Familia,” a feel good multi-generational gameshow executive produced by Simon Cowell where the kids call the shots and their families compete in a series of zany challenges; “NBL Belleza Total” will combine the excitement of a reality show and the glamour of a beauty contest as aspiring Hispanic women compete to break through society’s stereotypes of beauty; and “La Banda Season 3,” a hit pop music competition franchise from Simon Cowell’s Syco Entertainment, Saban Brands and Univision Studios returns for season three in 2018.
- Music – Music continues to be an important and essential component of UCI’s content offerings, and is a passion that can play a critical role in any marketer’s strategy. A recent Nielsen study showed Hispanics’ passion for music is undeniable as Latinos attend more concerts and dance clubs when compared to the total population. Beginning in 2018, UCI will move its three-highly rated annual music award shows to Sunday nights – a direct response to viewer demand. UCI is also introducing a series titled “Barrio Records,” developed by Story House Entertainment, which brings to life the sounds and mixes the best of hip-hop with a Caribbean beat, reggaetón; and is developing a bio-series of Luis Miguel’s life story with executive producer Pedro Torres.
- Drama – Telenovelas have long been at the center of UCI’s audience engagement story and the Company’s new, shorter and more contemporary formats have been designed to match modern viewer preferences and the telenovela-watching experience of today. Engaging storylines, fast-moving plots, increased diversity, complex characters and top-quality production will be prevalent in primetime with new dramas, including El Último Dragón, as well as Televisa productions such as telenovelas: “Mi Marido Tiene Familia” (My Husband has a Family), “Papá a Toda Madre” – (The Mother of all Dads) and “Amar Después de Amar” (To Love After Loving). UCI’s latest dramas have already captured audiences and attracted massive, young audiences and will extend this with “El Chapo” – Season 2. This year, UCI will be further reinvigorating its dramas in order to test new points of audience connection and bring advertisers more unique marketing opportunities across all media platforms.
- UCI has garnered 66% of the Hispanic viewing audience for the past five years.
- Univision Network is the No. 1 Spanish-language broadcast network for the 24th consecutive season,
- UniMás has generated quarter to quarter audience growth of + 45%
- Galavisión is the No. 1 Spanish-language cable entertainment network for the 14th consecutive season.
- UDN is the No. 1 Spanish-language sports cable network and No. 4 among all sports networks in any language.
- Univision.com is the No. 1 Spanish-language website with video views growing by 25% year-over-year.
- Univision Creator Network is the No. 1 Hispanic influencer network growing by 217% year-over-year
- Univision’s boasts the No. 1 Spanish-language radio group in the U.S. with by 6% year-over-year ratings growth.
- Univision broadcasts the No. 1 local news in Los Angeles, Dallas and New York regardless of language.
- Univision News is the No. 1 national TV news source for U.S. Hispanics growing by 18% quarter-to-quarter.
For additional information and assets, including pictures, please click here:
UCI’s 2017-2018 CONTENT LINE-UP
Union of European Football Associations UEFA Champions League - Each year, from August to June, the top soccer teams from professional leagues across Europe compete in the world’s most prestigious club tournament, the UEFA Champions League. Featuring international powerhouses like Real Madrid FC (SPA), FC Barcelona (SPA), Chelsea (ENG), Manchester City (ENG), Bayern Munich (GER), Juventus (ITA), Benfica (POR), and global superstars such as Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Sergio Agüero, Luis Suarez, Garth Bale, and Neymar Jr., the UEFA Champions League has a new home, coming to Univision Deportes in August 2018. (Daytime and Primetime – Univision Network, UniMás & Univision Deportes Network)
UEFA Europa League – In August 2018, one of the premier tournaments in the world will kick off on Univision Deportes with some of the greatest and most respected teams across Europe. These teams will face off to qualify for the UEFA Champions League. Historic clubs participating include Manchester United (ENG), AS Roma (ITA), AFC Ajax (HOL), Athletic Bilbao (SPA), Olympique Lyonnais (FRA), featuring established soccer and rising talent from across Europe. The UEFA Europa League will be arriving to Univision Deportes in August 2018. (Daytime and Primetime – UniMás & Univision Deportes Network)
UEFA Nations League – In the Fall of 2018, the greatest nations in Europe face off in this newly-created tournament. In the end, only one country will hold the trophy and be crowned as the champion of Europe. Among the nations competing in this prestigious tournament are the 2014 World Cup Champion Germany, 2010 World Cup Champion Spain, 2006 World Cup Champion Italy, as well as England and Portugal, featuring global soccer stars such as Cristiano Ronaldo, Garth Bale, Andres Iniesta, Wayne Rooney and Robert Lewandowski. The UEFA Nations League launches on Univision Deportes in September 2018. (Daytime – Univision Network, UniMás & Univision Deportes Network)
Coverage of 2018 FIFA World Cup - Univision Deportes, the undisputed home of soccer, will bring extensive coverage of the much-anticipated 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia. Complementing the live action on the field, fans can look to Univision Deportes for a unique primetime talk show, live multiplatform shows, a second-screen viewing option, and more. Univision Deportes will provide a dynamic slate of pre- and post-game expert analyses and complimentary programming across all Univision platforms. With many matches airing from Russia at off-peak viewing hours, Univision Deportes will air a unique primetime show that will not only recap that day’s action, but will merge the best of sports and entertainment, taking the viewers to Russia in the way only Univision Deportes knows how to do. (Primetime – Univision Network – Univision Deportes Network)
“Aquí y Ahora” (Here & Now) - Univision’s weekly award-winning newsmagazine hosted by two of industry’s most respected and recognized journalists, Teresa Rodriguez and Maria Elena Salinas. The program features in-depth coverage, reporting and special editions about some of the most compelling news, investigative and human interest stories of our time. Airing in Sunday primetime, the new season of “Aquí y Ahora” brings audiences town halls with key leaders on issues of importance to Hispanics, celebrity interviews and specials that provide a deeper look into current events, trends and Entertainment. (Primetime – Univision Network)
“Tu Cara me Suena” (Your Face “Sounds” Familiar) – “Tu Cara me Suena” is an international blockbuster format in which well-known celebrities accept the challenge of singing live while impersonating a music icon. With the support of the best make-up artists and vocal coaches in the industry, the contestants will re-create performances from a range of popular musical genres from rock en Español to Colombian cumbia to regional Mexican. (Primetime – Univision Studios – Endemol Shine)
“A Jugar en Familia” (Keep it in the Family) – “A Jugar en Familia” is a family show where the kids are in charge. Three generations of two families go head-to-head in a series of games featuring the world’s biggest variety acts, well-known celebrities and hilarious challenges. The contestants vie for the opportunity to win money-can’t-buy prizes and the chance to win the vacation of a lifetime. (Primetime – Univision Studios – Syco Entertainment – ITV Studios)
“NBL Belleza Total” (NBL Total Beauty) – “NBL Belleza Total” features U.S.-Hispanic women competing to break through society’s stereotypes of beauty. This Univision Studios production, which builds off the NBL franchise’s success, combines the excitement of a reality show with the glamour of a beauty contest. “NBL Belleza Total” is for all women and about all women; accompanying contestants on their inspiring journeys, and uncovering their fears and joys as they represent the real beauty of Latina, both inside and out. (Primetime – Univision Studios)
“¡Mira Quién Baila! – 5ta Temporada” (Look Who’s Dancing! – Season 5) – Hosted by Chiquinquirá Delgado, “¡Mira Quién Baila!” pairs 10 beloved Hispanic celebrities with talented amateur dancers to compete in front of a live audience every week, dancing to a variety of different rhythms, all in the name of charity. A panel of well-known judges demands the best of contestants as they narrow the field, with the audience making the final decision and selecting the winner. The charity represented by the winning celebrity will receive a generous monetary prize. (Primetime – Univision Studios – Endemol Shine)
“Pequeños Gigantes USA – 2da Temporada” (Little Giants U.S.A. – Season 2) - In this family-friendly reality show, groups of adorable and talented children from throughout the U.S. sing and dance with hopes of being recognized as the most gifted little entertainer. The children, ages 6 through 11, are divided into six teams of four, and mentored by a celebrity as they compete throughout the season, with the winner announced during the show’s season finale. (Primetime – Univision Studios – Televisa)
“La Banda - 3ra Temporada” (The Band – Season 3) - The hit pop music competition franchise that discovered and launched CNCO returns in 2018. The show, from Simon Cowell’s Syco Entertainment, Saban Brands and Univision Studios, features contestants from across the country once again competing for a chance to win a recording contract with Sony Music. (Primetime – Univision Studios – Syco Entertainment – Saban Brands)
Luis Miguel Bio-series – Univision and Pedro Torres, Luis Miguel’s long-time producer and one of his most trusted confidants, collaborate to bring viewers an unforgettable bio-series about one of the most successful and prestigious artists in Latin American history, Luis Miguel, affectionately known as “El Sol de Mexico” (The Sun of Mexico). This series tells the story of the international icon and multi-platinum artist starting with his childhood, when he became a star under his father’s management and was dealing with his mother’s disappearance, to his adulthood and conflicting relationships. (Primetime – Univision Network – Curiosity Media)
“Barrio Records” (Neighborhood Records) – Story House Entertainment brings to life the sounds that exploded in Puerto Rico and mixes the best of hip-hop with a Caribbean beat, reggaetón. “Barrio Records” is the tale of a reggaetón record label, its artists and the shady, cutthroat powerbrokers behind the scenes. (Primetime – Univision Network – Story House Entertainment)
“El Chapo” - 2da Temporada (“El Chapo” – Season 2) – This is the continuing saga of one of the world’s most notorious criminals, whose story Hispanic America can’t get enough of. Combining the world-class reporting and insights from Univision News’ investigative team with an outstanding team of talented storytellers and producers, “El Chapo” Season 2 continues to explore Joaquin ‘El Chapo’ Guzmán’s rise to power in the Sinaloa Cartel and his ultimate downfall. (Primetime – Univision Network – Story House Entertainment)
“Mi Marido Tiene Familia” (My Husband has a Family) – This dramedy pokes fun at traditional attitudes toward the extended family in a modern marriage. The main characters are blissfully happy and planning their future when a twist of fate lands them in a difficult and comical situation: their in-laws, who they thought lived abroad, are actually their new landlords. Riddled with lawsuits and laughter, the characters experience a whirlwind of emotions and adventures as they navigate their new reality and rediscover happiness. (Primetime – Univision Network – Televisa)
“Papá a Toda Madre” – (The Mother of all Dads) – “Papá a Toda Madre” is the story of frivolous business owner Mauricio, played by Hispanic America’s beloved heartthrob Sebastian Rulli, who is forced to grow up when confronted with an unconventional situation: a 9-year old girl shows up claiming to be his daughter. The revelation throws off Mauricio’s plans to marry into wealth to save his family business, which his best friend has led into bankruptcy, and he enlists his ex-employee to help raise the girl. In the midst of a love story full of unexpected arcs, Mauricio discovers his best friend is actually the girl’s father, and he must choose between saving his company and fighting for his new family. (Primetime – Univision Network – Televisa)
“Amar Después de Amar” (To Love After Loving) – In this thrilling tale, two families’ lives collide when a car accident reveals an unsettling affair. A father of twin boys who owns a fishing company and a well-off mother of two teenagers experience love at first sight at a school meeting, but fight their adulterous urges in order to save their marriages and protect their children. That is, until the accident reveals the two were in the car together – with the mother having gone missing, and the father falling into a coma. Dozens of questions arise and truths are revealed as the nail-biting drama unfolds. (Primetime – Univision Network – Televisa)
“El Último Dragón” (The Last Dragon) – This crime drama spans the globe, with the main character, played by Kuno Becker, living in Japan and traveling through Asia, America and Europe to conduct business. The story begins by showing how he got there: as a boy, and a grandson of the Sinaloa Cartel, he is sent away by his grandfather after his parents are murdered in Mexico. Picking up in Japan 20 years later, the handsome and educated young man lives with simplicity and sobriety, unknowingly being prepared by his grandfather’s confidante—a member of Japan’s largest organized crime syndicate, the Japanese Yakuza—to represent his family back home, as the heir of narcos. (Primetime – Univision Network – W Studios)
About Univision Communications Inc.
Univision Communications Inc. (UCI) is the leading media company serving Hispanic America. The Company, a leading content creator in the U.S., includes Univision Network, one of the leading networks in the U.S. regardless of language and the most-watched Spanish-language broadcast television network in the country available in approximately 91% of U.S. Hispanic television households; UniMás, a leading Spanish-language broadcast television network available in approximately 85% of U.S. Hispanic television households; Univision Cable Networks, including Galavisión, the most-watched U.S. Spanish-language entertainment cable network, as well as UDN (Univision Deportes Network), the most-watched U.S. Spanish-language sports cable network, Univision tlnovelas, a 24-hour Spanish-language cable network dedicated to telenovelas, ForoTV, a 24-hour Spanish-language cable network dedicated to international news, and an additional suite of cable offerings - De Película, De Película Clásico, Bandamax, Ritmoson and Telehit; Univision Local Media, which owns and/or operates 59 television stations and 64 radio stations in major U.S. Hispanic markets and Puerto Rico; and Univision Now, a direct-to-consumer, on demand and live streaming subscription service. The Company also includes the Fusion Media Group (FMG), a division that serves young, diverse audiences. FMG includes two cable networks: news and lifestyle English-language network FUSION TV and UCI’s interest in El Rey Network, a general entertainment English-language cable network; Univision.com, the most-visited Spanish-language website among U.S. Hispanics; Uforia, a music application featuring multimedia music content; as well as a collection of leading digital brands that span a range of categories: technology (Gizmodo), sports (Deadspin), music (TrackRecord), lifestyle (Lifehacker), modern women’s interests (Jezebel), news and social justice (FUSION.net), African American news and culture (The Root), gaming (Kotaku), and car culture (Jalopnik). FMG also includes the Company’s interest in comedy and news satire brands The Onion, Clickhole and The A.V. Club. Headquartered in New York City, UCI has content creation facilities and sales offices in major cities throughout the United States. For more information, please visit corporate.univision.com.