--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Association of Children’s Museums:
The Association of Children’s Museums will convene hundreds of leaders from children’s museums and supporting organizations to share knowledge and advocate for the children’s museum field during its annual InterActivity conference. Hosted by Kidspace Children’s Museum in Pasadena from May 2-5, InterActivity 2017’s theme is Fun is Serious Business with a focus on the bottom line—budget, mission, and revenue streams.
May 2-5, 2017
Pasadena Convention Center
300 East Green Street
SmallTalks, 9am-12noon: A TED-Talk style event to inspire and engage children’s museum leaders. Presenters include:
- Janina Garraway, a professional dancer who has performed with Mariah Carey, Faith Hill, and Kanye West, is the founder and executive director of the Garraway Performing Arts Center, which provides local youth dance instruction, mentoring, and tutoring.
- Adlai Wertman, professor of Social Entrepreneurship at USC's Marshall School of Business and founding director of the Brittingham Social Enterprise Lab, works with nonprofits and students to bring social innovation through business principles.
- Orrin Shively, recent senior director of Art & Design for Disney Interactive and Kidspace Children's Museum board member, will share "Mickey's 10 Commandments."
- Loretta Hidalgo Whitesides is the co-founder of Yuri's Night, an annual celebration of space exploration, and is a founder astronaut for Virgin Galactic.
- John Kobara, has spent years leading innovative nonprofits, companies and tech startups; as COO for the California Community Foundation, he works to increase access to educational opportunities in Los Angeles.
- Rhythm Child, through movement and intuitive drumming, is on a mission to inspire children and motivate those who are guiding their development.
Keynote Vu Le, 9-10:15am: Vu Le brings his trademark humor and deep insights to discuss the challenges faced by the nonprofit sector—and how to address them. Known for his no-nonsense approach, irreverent sense of humor, and love of unicorns, Vu Le is the writer behind the blog nonprofitwithball.com and humor writer for Blue Avocado, the American Nonprofits' bimonthly newsletter. Le is also the executive director of Rainier Valley Corps, which aims to bring more leaders of color into nonprofits. He was recently recognized by The Chronicle of Philanthropy as a "Writer with Attitude."
Great Friends to Kids Award, 10:30am-12noon: The Junior League is being recognized for its role in starting more than 50 children’s museums worldwide—including Pasadena’s Kidspace. Susan Danish, executive director of The Association of Junior Leagues International, Inc., will accept the honor on behalf of the countless women in The Junior League who have worked to make their communities better places for children.
To cover the conference contact Shawn Flaherty at 703-554-3609.