RALEIGH, N.C.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--(Click to Tweet) – Whether dimming streetlights to save energy, creating customer portals to educate consumers about their usage or using advanced metering infrastructure (AMI) technology to collect consumption data remotely, public service providers are investing in smart infrastructure and setting an example of what Earth Day is all about. Sensus, a Xylem brand, is spearheading the transition to smart cities, providing solutions for water, electricity and gas that give utilities the ability to reduce their carbon footprint and make their customers smarter about consumption habits.
Advances pioneered by Sensus in smart infrastructure technology—combining smart metering, interconnected devices and Internet-of-Things (IoT) applications—have enabled new efficiencies and capabilities for utilities that allow them to reduce their environmental impact. For instance:
- The dimming feature in the Sensus VantagePoint™ Lighting Control Module allows utilities to save energy by dimming lights according to sunrise and sunset schedules.
- The Sensus AMI solution, which includes the FlexNet® communication system, allows utilities to collect data over a secure, two-way network, replacing manual meter reads and reducing the number of maintenance trucks in the field.
- A recently announced collaboration with PTC enables Sensus to deliver smart applications to municipalities using the ThingWorx® IoT platform to help them create more efficient and connected infrastructures.
Examples the many utilities relying on Sensus to aid their environmental efforts include:
- Berkeley County Water & Sanitation used the FlexNet system to move from manual to automatic meter reads with the push of a button, deriving knowledge that enabled its technicians to resolve issues with one visit instead of many.
- Washington Municipal Utilities replaced its aging water and electricity infrastructure with Sensus AMI technology, enabling its staff to better educate their customers about their usage.
- Alabama Power completed a beta trial and used the VantagePoint Lighting Control Solution to help conserve energy and increase efficiency.
For its continuing innovation, Sensus has been recognized with the “Best Smart Grid Solution” by municipal utility executives for three straight years during the Municipal Smart Grid Summit.
Sensus helps a wide range of public service providers—from utilities to cities to industrial complexes and campuses—do more with their infrastructure to improve quality of life in their communities. We enable our customers to reach farther through the application of technology and data-driven insights that deliver efficiency and responsiveness. We partner with them to anticipate and respond to evolving business needs with innovation in sensing and communications technologies, data analytics and services. Learn more at sensus.com and follow @SensusGlobal on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and Instagram.
Xylem (XYL) is a leading global water technology company committed to developing innovative technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. The Company’s products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services, and agricultural settings. With its October 2016 acquisition of Sensus, Xylem added smart metering, network technologies and advanced data analytics to its portfolio of solutions. The Company’s nearly 16,000 employees bring broad applications expertise with a strong focus on identifying comprehensive, sustainable solutions. Headquartered in Rye Brook, New York with 2015 revenue of $3.7 billion, Xylem does business in more than 150 countries through a number of market-leading product brands.
The name Xylem is derived from classical Greek and is the tissue that transports water in plants, highlighting the engineering efficiency of our water-centric business by linking it with the best water transportation of all—that which occurs in nature. For more information, please visit www.xyleminc.com.