GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Amerigroup Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Amerigroup Texas, works with organizations throughout Texas to improve the health of our communities. Through its focus on providing hands-only CPR classes and relief and preparedness for future natural disasters, as well as increasing physical activity and wellness for individuals with intellectual disabilities and blind or visually impaired, the Foundation is partnering with organizations that are setting the standard when it comes to innovative programs, which offer long-term solutions.
In Texas, the Foundation provided nearly $1.1 million in grants. Additionally, during 2016, Amerigroup Texas sponsored more than $100,000 in programs in the state.
Beyond the impact the company and Foundation are making in Texas, Amerigroup associates donated 1,800 volunteer hours to benefit countless nonprofits in communities across the state, directing more than approximate through the company-sponsored “Dollars for Doers” program. Also, during the year-round associate giving program, supported by a Foundation match, Texas associates raised more than $36,000 for local charities.
“We know that keeping our local communities healthy requires a dedicated partnership with key organizations so that residents are able to thrive, grow and prosper,” said Tisch Scott, president of Amerigroup Texas. “Through sponsorships, grants, volunteerism and charitable donations, Amerigroup Texas, its Foundation and associates committed more than $1.2 million to organizations that offer innovative programs that educate, motivate and encourage Texas’s residents to lead healthier lives.”
A quick look at some of this year’s highlights illustrates how these non-profits are helping to reduce health disparities and empower local community residents to take control of their health:
- In collaboration with The Arc of Houston and San Antonio, we impacted over 50 members of the I/DD communities through the Health Matters program. Amerigroup associates took part in the progress of the participants and attended their graduation from the program.
- Through a partnership with the United States Association of Blind Athletes and the Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired, we provided nearly 35 athletes, who are blind or visually impaired, opportunities to increase their physical activity levels through cheerleading, wrestling, goalball, self-defense and more.
- Given our long-time support to the South Plains Food Bank in Lubbock they were able to reach and exceed their 350,000 pound goal during their U Can Share Food Drive, which helps provide 15,000 meals or the equivalent of 6,500 pounds of food that is distributed across a 20 county service area.
- Through the Foundation’s support of the Boys & Girls Clubs of America’s Triple Play program, Amerigroup engaged nearly 3,000 youth in healthy, active lifestyles through local Triple Play Club grants to local Clubs, and helped renovate a Gamesroom in Arlington.
- In an effort to help prevent deaths due to heart attacks, together with the American Heart Association, we trained 2,000 Texans in hands-only CPR.
- For more information, see Amerigroup’s annual online Corporate Responsibility Report, which outlines the company’s commitment to making a difference in people’s lives through the work of its associates, the philanthropic efforts of the Amerigroup Foundation, its diversity and inclusion initiatives and its environmentally responsible business practices.
About The Amerigroup Foundation
The Amerigroup Foundation is the philanthropic arm of Amerigroup, a wholly owned subsidiary of Anthem, Inc. Together, with local, regional and national organizations, the Amerigroup Foundation works to enhance the health and well-being of individuals and families in communities that Amerigroup and its affiliated health plans serve. Amerigroup Foundation funding is focused on strategic initiatives working to address and provide innovative solutions to health care challenges, as well as promoting the Healthy Generations Program, a multi-generational initiative with five areas of focus: Healthy Heart, Cancer Prevention, Healthy Maternal Practices, Type 2 Diabetes Prevention, and Healthy Active Lifestyle. These disease states and medical conditions include: prenatal care in the first trimester, low birth weight babies, cardiac morbidity rates, long term activities that decrease obesity and increase physical activity, diabetes prevalence in adult populations, adult pneumococcal and influenza vaccinations and smoking cessation. The Foundation also coordinates the company’s year-round Associate Giving program which provides a 50 percent match of associates’ campaign pledges, as well as its Volunteer Time Off and Dollars for Doers community service programs. To learn more about the Amerigroup Foundation, please visit www.anthem.foundation.
About Amerigroup Texas
Amerigroup Texas helps improve health care access and quality for approximately 800,000 Texans by developing innovative care management programs and services. Members are assured care that is not only accessible, but also accountable, comprehensive, integrated and patient-centered. Amerigroup Texas provides ongoing community relations and outreach to encourage members to become active participants in their health care. Through health education programs, members are empowered to choose and sustain a healthy lifestyle.