TORONTO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Unata, the leader in 1-to-1 digital solutions for grocers, reveals the full findings from their 2017 Grocery eCommerce Forecast. The report, completed in partnership with Brick Meets Click, surveyed over 500 U.S. shoppers about online grocery shopping habits, intent and barriers in order to help retailers understand where to focus their efforts in 2017.
The findings reveal:
1) eGrocery is growing fast and is here to stay
- 31% of U.S. shoppers are likely to order groceries online in 2017, up from 19% of shoppers that bought groceries online in 2016
- 80% of shoppers who bought groceries online in 2016 plan to do so again in 2017
2) The lack of an eGrocery offering will cost retailers share of wallet
- 23% of those who order groceries online in 2016 reported that their current grocer does not offer eCommerce, revealing they spent elsewhere for those online purchases
3) Shoppers will switch grocers for a better online experience
- 68% of shoppers who shopped online last year said that they are ‘somewhat’ or ‘very’ likely to switch grocers to one with a better online shopping experience (quick, easy, convenient, enjoyable)
The report also reveals what U.S. shoppers value most for a digital grocery experience, including:
- An easy and convenient user experience
- Easy to find products & sales
- Personalized offers, sales and product suggestions
- Savings online via the digital weekly ad and digital coupons
- Fast delivery
“We’ve known for a long time that shoppers wanted to do some grocery shopping from home and now we have more specifics on what else they’re looking for from that experience. Now’s the time to get on this,” says Bill Bishop, Chief Architect at Brick Meets Click.
“Our annual Grocery eCommerce Forecast was created to help our network of retail partners and the industry at large better understand the digital grocery landscape,” said Chris Bryson, Unata Founder & CEO. “Given the rapid shopper adoption and appetite to switch for a better online experience, it’s clear that a retailer’s digital experience is quickly becoming the most critical tool for differentiation, retention, and ultimately growth.”
The findings were revealed, alongside an in-depth discussion by industry experts, during a Jan. 31 webinar. View the on-demand webinar here.
Unata powers industry-leading digital experiences for North America’s most well-respected grocers, with the mission to innovate the future of the grocery shopping experience. Unata enables 1-to-1 eCommerce, eCircular and eLoyalty experiences, powering the entire digital grocery experience through a single platform. Unata’s award-winning work is featured by retailers including Lowes Foods, Raley’s, Longo’s and more. To learn more, visit www.unata.com or follow Unata on Twitter or LinkedIn.
About Brick Meets Click
Brick Meets Click is a consultancy dedicated to creating cutting-edge thought leadership on how consumer technology use is influencing the future of shopping, changing retail business models, and realigning trade partnerships. To promote discussion and idea-sharing about the increasingly multi-channel shopping experience, BMC publishes a wide variety of content at www.brickmeetsclick.com. To assist companies who are navigating the new environment, BMC offers information and advisory services.