PAWTUCKET, R.I.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Reissuing release to add investor codes after last paragraph of release: HAS-C, HAS-PH
The corrected release reads:
HASBRO LAUNCHES BE FEARLESS BE KIND, A PHILANTHROPIC INITIATIVE TO NURTURE EMPATHY AND COMPASSION IN YOUTH, AND HELP THEM PUT KINDNESS INTO ACTION
Program Equips Parents, Educators and Youth with Resources to Help Kids Stand Up for Others, Be Inclusive and Take Action When They See a Problem
Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ:HAS), a global play and entertainment company, today launched BE FEARLESS BE KIND, its largest philanthropic initiative ever, designed to empower kids to have the empathy, compassion and courage to stand up for others and be inclusive throughout their lives. This initiative builds upon the work that Hasbro and the Hasbro Children’s Fund have been doing with generationOn, the youth service division of Points of Light.
“We know the amazing difference kids can make by putting empathy into action through service, and we’ve seen how that work changes them, giving them confidence and a greater sense of purpose,” said Karen Davis, Hasbro’s Senior Vice President of Global Philanthropy and Social Impact, and President of the Hasbro Children’s Fund. “BE FEARLESS BE KIND features resources, partnerships and campaigns with the common goal of creating a generation of kids who include everyone, appreciate differences and experience the feeling of fulfilment that comes with making a difference.”
The core elements of BE FEARLESS BE KIND are dedicated to teaching empathy, putting empathy into action, and celebrating kind kids who serve as positive role models and changemakers.
“We recognize that empathy is a critical social skill that impacts our youth and our world,” said Brian Goldner, Hasbro's Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer. “Hasbro has always been committed to standing up for children, and we are pleased to be using our resources to help address this important issue.”
To help nurture empathy and compassion, parents and adults can access proven tools and resources through an online hub, www.BEFEARLESSBEKIND.com:
- The website features a curated toolkit with best-in-class materials developed by Ashoka, the world's largest network of changemakers and social innovators.
- A custom series of mindfulness videos offers adults and their children the opportunity to practice meditation focused on inspiring kindness and empathy.
- Third-party resources, including book recommendations and articles, provide additional information and inspiration for parents and educators interested in nurturing empathy.
Putting Empathy into Action
As part of the initiative, Hasbro and its partners offer a variety of programs throughout the year to help kids put empathy into action:
- The first new program to launch was generationOn’s Rules of Kindness campaign, which invited kids and teens to create their own “rules of kindness” and a plan to put them into action. The campaign, which ran September 1 through October 17, inspired more than 110,000 youth from eight countries to share their rules and action plans.
- Starting in November, Hasbro and generationOn will be hosting the seventh annual Joy Maker Challenge, encouraging youth to spread joy and kindness to people in need during the holidays. For every kid engaged in service throughout the Joy Maker Challenge between November 21 and December 23, Hasbro will donate a toy or game to Toys for Tots (up to $1 million). To date, more than 950,000 total acts of service have been completed.
- Hasbro proudly supports NO BULLY, an evidence-based program that leverages student empathy to prevent and stop bullying in schools and in after-school programs. Hasbro brought this approach to the school district where its corporate headquarters are located in Pawtucket, RI, as well as schools across the US through an innovative AmeriCorps partnership. In addition, Peace Summit projects, designed by NO BULLY and featured on the BE FEARLESS BE KIND website, help educators involve students in reducing bullying in schools and promoting peace.
Two new global partnerships with Special Olympics and Creative Vision’s Rock Your World have been established to help develop empathy and compassion in kids around the world:
- Special Olympics Unified Schools program facilitates sports and education initiatives of Special Olympics in schools to foster respect and dignity for people with intellectual disabilities; change actions and attitudes among peers without intellectual disabilities; and promote social inclusion for all.
- Creative Vision’s Rock Your World inspires middle and high school students globally to change their world through the use of media. To date, more than 600,000 students in 25,000 schools have used their free curriculum to make a difference around issues they care about.
Celebrating Kind Kids
BE FEARLESS BE KIND recognizes and celebrates kids who are making a positive difference:
- For the past seven years, Hasbro has recognized Hasbro Community Action Heroes who embody empathy, kindness, and leadership as they serve their community through volunteerism. The ten 2016 Heroes, who will be announced on November 1, will receive an educational scholarship in honor of their work.
- Through its partnership with the Special Olympics Unified Schools program, Hasbro will also recognize one student in each of the areas where it has US offices: Rhode Island, Seattle, Los Angeles and Miami, with the Hasbro Kindness Award for extraordinary empathetic leadership.
Hasbro employees are also bringing empathy-building activities to the communities where they live and work through Team Hasbro, the company’s employee volunteer program, which enjoys an 89 percent participation rate.
Hasbro (NASDAQ: HAS) is a global play and entertainment company committed to Creating the World's Best Play Experiences. From toys and games to television, movies, digital gaming and consumer products, Hasbro offers a variety of ways for audiences to experience its iconic brands, including NERF, MY LITTLE PONY, TRANSFORMERS, PLAY-DOH, MONOPOLY, LITTLEST PET SHOP and MAGIC: THE GATHERING, as well as premier partner brands. The Company's Hasbro Studios and its film label, Allspark Pictures, are building its brands globally through great storytelling and content on all screens. Through its commitment to corporate social responsibility and philanthropy, Hasbro is helping to make the world a better place for children and their families. Learn more at www.hasbro.com, and follow us on Twitter (@Hasbro & @HasbroNews) and Instagram (@Hasbro).