NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--MapR Technologies, Inc., provider of the industry’s only Converged Data Platform, today announced at Strata + Hadoop World comprehensive support for microservices that leverage continuous analytics, automated actions, and rapid response to better impact business as it happens. New capabilities in the MapR Platform range from microservices application monitoring and management to integrated support for agile microservices application development.
“One of the hardest problems when creating and developing microservices for an enterprise is the data,” said Robin Bloor, chief analyst and co-founder, The Bloor Group. “How it is shared, managed, protected, and delivered is a major constraint to the successful creation and deployment of applications, particularly real-time and mission-critical applications. The key is to combine operations with analytic processing.”
Support for event-driven microservices relies on underlying new capabilities including:
- Comprehensive monitoring of cluster-wide operations and resource usage in a single pane of glass view
- Microservices-specific volumes for application versioning, simplifying the development lifecycle and production deployment
- Microservices for A-B and multivariate testing enabling rapid machine learning model development and optimization
“As one of the fastest growing video advertising technology companies in the world, we depend on our ability to quickly develop enhancements and deliver data agility to our customers,” said Manny Puentes, CTO Altitude Digital. “Event-driven microservices provide a critical capability to help us be more agile, adapt quickly and drive value to our customers.”
Event-driven microservices on the MapR Converged Data Platform allow developers to have the freedom to combine a range of machine learning and analytic functions directly on the data. Microservices that seamlessly leverage file, database, and streaming services can be orchestrated on the Converged Data Platform with an underlying publish-and-subscribe framework that integrates data-in-motion and data-at-rest to support continuous and low latency processing. This highly effective approach integrates information from the latest events with deep insights from accumulated data.
These microservices capabilities benefit from key features of the MapR Converged Data Platform including:
- Unified security with Access Control Expressions for data volumes, including streaming data
- Support for agile and containerized application development on Docker, including applications with persistent data requirements
- Converged analytic, processing, and messaging services in the same physical nodes for real-time requirements and greater simplicity
- Support for hybrid cloud microservices architectures with global message service, global data namespace, bidirectional data flows with loop detection, and service scale out capabilities
- Logical and functional isolation of services. Ideal for machine learning model training and evaluation
- Continuous high availability and multi-master mission-critical disaster recovery capabilities
Microservices applications and other converged application development is simplified on the MapR Platform. Developers have the freedom to combine file, database, document, and streaming analytics functionality. With a single line of code, developers can easily persist complex data types with JSON in MapR-DB, so they can focus on developing innovative features. Customizable dashboards deliver full visibility of cluster hardware and software operations, utilization, and service logs. The Exchange, part of the MapR Converge Community, provides a public forum for sharing best practices around microservices, dashboards, and code snippets.
“Microservices by themselves are great, but don’t deliver on their full promise until you have a converged platform that brings the data together,” said Anil Gadre, senior vice president, product management, MapR Technologies. “We’ve made it easier for developers to build innovative new converged applications that can help transform a business by providing a competitive advantage that was not possible before.”
MapR also delivered a Converged Application Blueprint to help speed the development of innovative applications. Included in the Blueprint is application source code to demonstrate how microservices combine to form a converged application that captures high speed streaming data, persists the data for historical analysis, and provides real-time analytics.
Microservices support is available now in the MapR Converged Community and Enterprise Editions of the MapR Platform.
- Learn more about how microservices play a role in insight platforms — platforms described by Forrester that combine data, analytics, and insight execution to drive digital transformation. Register for the Oct. 20 webinar here
- What does it take to implement a digital transformation? See where your company stands in the big data maturity lifecycle. Download The Architects Guide to Implementing a Digital Transformation ebook here
- Visit MapR this week at Strata + Hadoop World, Booth #519 where the company will be showcasing its product offerings.
- Get started with converged application development using the Converged Application Blueprint here
- Join the MapR Converge Community here
Tweet this: .@MapR supports event-driven microservices to accelerate converged applications development http://bit.ly/2dbfmSw
About MapR Technologies
MapR enables organizations to create disruptive advantage and long-term value from their data with the industry’s only Converged Data Platform, which delivers distributed processing, real-time analytics, and enterprise grade requirements across cloud and on-premise environments, while leveraging the significant on-going development in open source technologies including Spark and Hadoop. Organizations with the most demanding production needs, including sub-second response for fraud prevention, secure and highly available data-driven insights for better healthcare, petabyte analysis for threat detection, and integrated operational and analytic processing for improved customer experiences, run on MapR. A majority of customers achieves payback in fewer than 12 months and realizes greater than 5X ROI. MapR ensures customer success through world-class professional services and with free on-demand training that over 50,000 developers, data analysts and administrators have used to close the big data skills gap. Amazon, Cisco, Google, HPE, Microsoft, SAP, and Teradata are part of the worldwide MapR partner ecosystem. Investors include Google Capital, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Mayfield Fund, NEA, Qualcomm Ventures and Redpoint Ventures. Connect with MapR on LinkedIn, and Twitter.