TOLEDO, Ohio--(BUSINESS WIRE)--For the seventh year in a row, Owens Corning (NYSE:OC) has earned placement in the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI World) for its sustainability performance. For the fourth straight year, Owens Corning was named the Industry Leader for the DJSI World Building Products group.
Composed of global sustainability leaders, the DJSI World is an elite listing of the world's largest companies based on long-term economic, environmental and social criteria.
“We’re pleased to be recognized in this year’s Dow Jones Sustainability Index,” said Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Mike Thaman. “Our commitment to sustainability is embedded in the foundation of our company and is a great source of pride for our people."
“‘Expanding our impact through sustainability’ is a core value of the company,” said Vice President and Chief Sustainability Officer Frank O'Brien-Bernini. “We recognize that – to be truly sustainable – we must continuously expand our net-positive handprint through our strategies and actions. We’re excited about the opportunities for continued progress across the entire sustainability spectrum. We have 16,000 people around the world committed to making the world a better place.”
Owens Corning is devoted to delivering sustainable solutions across all three of its business segments: Insulation, Roofing, and Composites. The company recently reported its sustainability progress in its tenth annual Sustainability Report. Some highlights include:
- Reduced employee recordable injuries by 7 percent year-over-year
- Entered into purchase agreements for 250 megawatts of new wind energy capacity, the construction of which will use significant Owens Corning glass-reinforced composites. These agreements are among the leading industrial renewable energy supply agreements in the world
- Dedicated a new non-woven glass fiber fabrics plant to produce formaldehyde-free products
- Collaborated with builders across North America to incorporate building-science expertise in building cost-effective, energy efficient homes, including a growing number of net zero-energy homes
- Recycled 2.5 billion pounds of end-of-life shingles through our networks and 1.4 billion pounds of glass in our operations
- Partnered with global non-governmental organizations (NGOs) to deliver clean drinking water systems in India and completed Habitat for Humanity builds in China
The full report is available online at: https://w.owenscorning.com/corporate/sustainability.
About Dow Jones Sustainability Index
Launched in 1999, the DJSI were the first global indices tracking financial performance of leading sustainability-driven companies. This elite listing is derived from an integrated assessment of economic, environmental, and social criteria with a strong focus on long-term shareholder value. More than 3,400 of the world’s largest companies from developed and emerging markets were invited to take part in the annual corporate sustainability assessment (CSA); 867 firms completed the comprehensive questionnaire.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning (NYSE:OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company’s market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2015 sales of $5.4 billion and employs about 16,000 people in 25 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 62 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.