FRAMINGHAM, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The rate of decline in the worldwide hardcopy peripherals market slowed in the second quarter of 2016 (2Q16) with shipments contracting 3.8% year over year to 23.1 million units, according to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker. The improvement in the global market was largely driven by strong demand in the color laser (21ppm+) and mono laser (21-30 ppm) segments with 18.0% and 8.9% year-over-year growth, respectively.
Other notable highlights in this quarter include:
- Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan) saw 6.6% year-over-year growth in shipments to approximately 8 million units, bolstered by strong performances in China, Indonesia, Philippines, and Vietnam.
- Epson's double-digit year-over-year growth of 10.4% was fueled by increases in six out of eight regional markets. The vendor grew shipments 13.3% year over year in the business inkjet segment of the Western European market.
- Canon also grew 1.4% year over year in the worldwide market with shipments approaching 4.8 million in 2Q16. The vendor's best results came in Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan) with 19.4% year-over-year growth, which was driven by increased traction for its ink tank series (i.e, PIXMA G models).
|Worldwide Hardcopy Peripherals Shipments, Market Share, and Year-Over-Year Growth, Q2 2016|
|1. HP Inc||8,477,117||36.6%||9,818,111||40.8%||-13.7%|
|Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, August 2016|
In addition to the table above, an interactive graphic showing worldwide market share (based on shipments) for the top 5 hardcopy peripheral vendors over the previous five quarters is available here. The chart is intended for public use in online news articles and social media. Instructions on how to embed this graphic can be found by viewing this press release on IDC.com.
- IDC tracks A2-A4 devices in the Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals
- Hardcopy Peripherals include single-function printers, multifunctional systems (MFPs), and single-function digital copiers (SF DC). Data for all vendors are reported for calendar periods.
For more information about IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, please contact Phuong Hang (firstname.lastname@example.org).
About IDC Trackers
IDC Tracker products provide accurate and timely market size, vendor share, and forecasts for hundreds of technology markets from more than 100 countries around the globe. Using proprietary tools and research processes, IDC's Trackers are updated on a semiannual, quarterly, and monthly basis. Tracker results are delivered to clients in user-friendly excel deliverables and on-line query tools. The IDC Tracker Charts app allows users to view data charts from the most recent IDC Tracker products on their iPhone and iPad. The IDC Tracker Chart app is also available for Android Phones and Android Tablets.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. With more than 1,100 analysts worldwide, IDC offers global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. IDC's analysis and insight helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based technology decisions and to achieve their key business objectives. Founded in 1964, IDC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of International Data Group (IDG), the world's leading media, data and marketing services company. To learn more about IDC, please visit www.idc.com. Follow IDC on Twitter at @IDC.