NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The US Open is one of the most thrilling tournaments in tennis, and this year’s Open will not disappoint, as all fans—rookies and veterans alike—will encounter a completely new experience with the updated layout to the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center. American Express knows its Card Members love the Open, with many coming back year after year, which is why it is leveraging its immersive on-site activations and service to help enable all Card Members, tennis fans and attendees to experience the 2016 US Open like a pro.
In line with American Express’ tradition of leveraging the latest technology to create unique, memorable experiences for fans, the Pro Walk, located in the US Open American Express Fan Experience, gives US Open attendees the opportunity to virtually experience the same type of journey a pro would have as they walk from the player locker room to center court of the newly renovated Arthur Ashe Stadium. The experience combines replicas of the player locker room and tunnel, holograms of former US Open champions Pete Sampras and Monica Seles, three-dimensional sound, and projection mapping of the stadium to make it truly feel like you’re on center court.
“At American Express, we are always excited to bring our Card Members and tennis fans new, exciting and interactive experiences during the US Open,” said Deborah Curtis, vice president, global sponsorships and experiential marketing, American Express. ”Given the changes to this year’s tournament, we are especially excited to use our position as a service brand to ensure that all fans—from those that have been to the US Open year after year to those who are first timers—are able to experience the US Open like a pro. From providing premium amenities and offerings, to exclusive digital content, to allowing attendees onsite to experience the never-before-seen Pro Walk, we are again delivering unique service and access to our Card Members and fans.”
To further help Card Members and tennis fans experience the US Open like a pro, American Express is partnering with former US Open champion Venus Williams and up-and-coming American men’s player Taylor Fritz – in addition to Sampras and Seles – to showcase the unique benefits and services that only American Express is able provide at this year’s tournament.
The US Open American Express Fan Experience features 20,000 square feet of interactive programming designed to enhance this year’s Open and help fans experience it like a pro. Activities include:
- American Express ® Pro Walk: American Express continues its tradition of using the latest technology to deliver experiences that bring fans closer to their favorite sport. The Pro Walk is a tech-tailored and emotion-focused journey immersing tennis fans in a mixed-reality experience either individually or with a group that culminates with the authentic feeling of stepping out onto the court at Arthur Ashe Stadium.
- Chair of Champions: In the new American Express space located in the South Plaza, fans will be provided the chance to grab a seat in the one-of-a-kind Chair of Champions. The new, glass-enclosed space will provide an unforgettable photo opportunity for tennis fans as they sit in the throne made completely of tennis balls and rackets. All Card Members can also stop in to pick up complimentary premiums, such as cell phone fans and radios1.
- American Express Center Court Club: American Express is excited to be part of the new, 70-person luxury suite, the Center Court Club at Arthur Ashe Stadium.
- American Express Card Member Club: Card Members will be invited to sit back, relax and recharge in the Card Member Club in the Fan Experience, which will boast a number of complimentary services such as mophie battery phone case rental, massages offered in partnership with exhale, sunglass cleaning and more. Food and beverages are available for purchase as well2.
American Express Fan Court: The only full-sized tennis court
for fans will feature daily live programming to provide attendees of
all ages with tools and technology to enhance and improve their tennis
- Athlete Meet and Greets: To kick-off the first few days of the US Open, popular tennis professionals will join American Express on the court to participate in question-and-answer sessions, giving fans additional insight and tips for the game.
- USTA Tennis Programming: A returning favorite, fans of all ages will have the chance to participate in USTA programming sessions including youth tennis sessions, adult tennis skills challenges and more.
- American Express Radio Live at the Open: The American Express Radios continue to be a fan favorite at the US Open. This year, American Express will distribute 180,000 radios from five different locations throughout the grounds1. The radios will feature live play-by-play commentary and match updates from ESPN, as well as some tips on how to do the US Open like a Pro from some of the pros themselves –Sampras, Seles, Williams and Fritz.
- World-Class Service for Fans: American Express Customer Care Professionals will be at the Fan Experience, and American Express Brand Ambassadors will be throughout the grounds of the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center to deliver the company’s Relationship Care® service to its customers and all event guests, helping fans take full advantage of onsite benefits and experience the exceptional care American Express provides Card Members.
Staying Connected Like a #AmexTennis Pro
- Venus Opens Like a Pro: In a series of social video vignettes presented by American Express, fans around the world can watch Venus Williams get ready for the final Grand Slam of the year. In this series, tennis fans get a quick glimpse at the everyday rituals of a bona fide champion. The clips share how Venus Williams prepares for the US Open like a pro – from picking out the perfect match outfit to drinking her fresh OJ in the morning.
- #AmexTennis US Open Daily Debates: Debating about each match at the US Open brings an element of added excitement to the tournament. American Express will bring this spirit to life by driving a social media campaign that encourages US Open fans to participate in conversations on Twitter. Fans can track and take part in the daily debates by using #AmexTennis, and as the daily debates heat up, Sampras, Seles, Williams and Fritz will join in on the action.
- American Express in Snapchat’s US Open Live Story Coverage: On the last day of the US Open, American Express will premiere a series of short, fun vignettes that will live within the US Open Snapchat Live Story of the Men’s Finals. This series will share how pro fans use insider knowledge and American Express to experience the US Open like a pro. Pro tips will range from how to keep cool to staying in the know.
- US Open Winner’s Walk: The Winner’s Walk presented by American Express is a question-and-answer session with the winning players at Arthur Ashe as they walk back to the locker room after their victory. Content will be distributed with the potential to stream live on Facebook. .
- US Open App: American Express will be the presenting sponsor of US Open Radio and Guest Information, within the US Open App. Guest Info, a new activation for 2016, will help guide attendees throughout the event, as there are many new enhancements throughout the National Tennis Center.
About American Express
American Express is a global services company, providing customers with access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Learn more at americanexpress.com and connect with us on facebook.com/americanexpress, foursquare.com/americanexpress, linkedin.com/company/american-express, twitter.com/americanexpress, and youtube.com/americanexpress.
Key links to products, services and corporate responsibility information: charge and credit cards, business credit cards, Plenti rewards program, travel services, gift cards, prepaid cards, merchant services, corporate card, business travel and corporate responsibility.
1 While supplies last, one per Card Member. Must be 18 or over.
2 Must be 21 or over to consume alcohol. Please drink responsibly.