NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--STORY, New York’s ever-changing concept store, unveils “Remember When,” an immersive retro experience that celebrates Nickelodeon’s iconic shows and memorable characters from the ‘90s, timed to the 25th anniversary of Nickelodeon animation. Open August 5 - September 18, “Remember When” is the 31st installation for STORY and takes a nostalgic look back at the decade that gave birth to the Rugrats, dial-up Internet and leggings as pants. To bring the ‘90s “back to life, back to reality,” STORY has teamed up with over 25 brands on items that celebrate the spirit of ‘90s Nickelodeon--from a pair of Double Dare-inspired Keds and a stonewash denim jacket by Gap, to Rolex watches customized by Bamford Watch Department.
“Remember When” takes visitors back to the future through the lens of a yearbook, set against a backdrop that features portraits of beloved ‘90s Nick characters reimagined by New York illustrator Charlotte Fassler on the STORY wall. The experience is centered on five clubs that highlight fan-favorite Nickelodeon shows and other elements of ‘90s culture:
- HOMEROOM: Where it all starts. Celebrate the legacy of Nickelodeon through products that feature a mash-up of beloved ‘90s characters and give back with brands like State Bags and Out of Print.
- BESTIES: Remembering Nickelodeon’s iconic duos.
- DOUBLE DARE: Hit prints and patterns from Crshr and Boardies inspired by Nickelodeon’s ultimate ‘90s game show Double Dare and iconic green Slime.
- CITY KIDS: Hey Arnold!-inspired pieces that play to the home crowd.
- YEARBOOKERS: The '90s were all that, from your favorite candy to must-have nostalgic picks.
“Consumer demand for '90s Nickelodeon is off the charts and we are excited to introduce an exclusive new line of products based on our most popular shows to celebrate this iconic chapter of our history,” said Pam Kaufman, Chief Marketing Officer and President, Consumer Products, Nickelodeon. “We think STORY is the perfect partner to kick off our new consumer products program and Nickelodeon fans are really going to love it.”
STORY will extend the “Remember When” experience outside its walls for the first time through additional brick-and-mortar and online retail partnerships with Los Angeles-based retailer RON ROBINSON and NeimanMarcus.com, giving consumers outside of New York the opportunity to join the fun. From August 18 to September 18, RON ROBINSON will host a STORY “Remember When”-themed shop-in-shop in its Santa Monica store and feature an edited selection of the limited-edition product.
“The nostalgia that this collaboration with Nickelodeon evokes is energizing. I told my staff about this project and they, each one, went into their list of which characters and shows they were fond of. It's been exhilarating for me to work together with Rachel and her team at STORY, they are true masters!!! Our teams have worked seamlessly together. I am looking forward to the celebration at RON ROBINSON on August 18," shares Ron Robinson, Founder & CEO, RON ROBINSON.
Neiman Marcus will highlight key collaborations with an online extension of “Remember When” on their website, NeimanMarcus.com, for a limited time starting August 24 through September 18. This marks the first time STORY’s themed concepts will be available online and also serves as a first for many of the brands to have their items sold at Neiman Marcus.
“We are thrilled to partner with Rachel and her great team to bring STORY to Neiman Marcus. We love her innovative approach to product, marketing and the customer experience, and believe that we can collaborate in a very exciting way to showcase the unexpected for our clients--starting with an introduction of her ‘90s icon story on our website,” said Jim Gold, President, Chief Merchandising Officer, Neiman Marcus.
Those in New York will be able to enjoy the full flashback force of the partnership through a series of playful in-store experiences. Double Dare fans can step up to the podium for photo opportunities and the most daring will be able to take a physical challenge on the hamster wheel from the original obstacle course. A display designed by Perch Interactive will showcase behind-the-scenes interviews with many of the creators of Nickelodeon’s animated series, while an in-store selfie station will give visitors an opportunity to get digitally Slimed through a custom interactive photo experience designed by Foxtales. Finally, Time Travel Radio, created by Jamie Carreiro, a Creative and Tech Director at PARTY NYC, has curated the top hit songs from 1990-1999, so fans can relive the decade via music.
Exclusive collaborations for “Remember When” include:
- Bamford Watch Department Rolex: To create the ultimate throwback timepiece, Bamford Watch Department has turned three Rolex watches into limited-edition collector’s pieces with three distinct faces inspired by Double Dare (Slime), an all-over Nickelodeon animation print, and SpongeBob SquarePants.
- Chasing Paper: Peel and stick removable wallpaper with two Nickelodeon-inspired patterns designed by STORY.
- Denik: With every product sold from this collection of custom journals, a portion of the proceeds goes directly to building schools and to support the artist.
- Dormify: In time for back-to-school, Dormify has created a collection of limited-edition pillows inspired by Nickelodeon’s animated cast of characters, from Ren & Stimpy to SpongeBob SquarePants.
- Harry Barker: Super-healthy snacks for cats, dogs, and CatDogs. Plus, a handmade dog toy made to look like Chuckie Finster’s iconic glasses.
- Keds: Hit the ground running in two exclusive styles of ‘90s-perfect Keds sneakers, each featuring a custom print and laces inspired by the hit Nickelodeon game show Double Dare.
- Leeloo Soaps: Handmade in Portland, Leeloo Soaps has created five custom bars including a Slime green bar and Wallaby Wash.
- Mi Cielo: Rugrats-inspired onesies for today’s rug rats, handmade in Austin, Texas.
- Print All Over Me: The online platform for self-expression and creative collaboration brings together a wide assortment of apparel and accessories to commemorate ‘90s Nick from bathing suits and Slimed hoodies to bucket hats for little ones.
- Rockets of Awesome: Rockets of Awesome has turned its cool kids’ wear into two throwback statement pieces: a glow-in-the dark Slime-covered tee and silver metallic varsity jacket, perfect for today’s coolest Nick fans.
- Samsung: An exclusive Nick character collection of electronics including fast-charge exterior batteries, wireless Slimed speaker and printed Galaxy phone cases.
- Smashbox: Unleash your inner ‘90s babe with “The Kiss Ups,” an exclusive collection of lipsticks in three shades inspired by the decade’s moody hues.
- Stance Socks: Kick it old school. Indie sock maker Stance has created a line of limited-edition pairs of retro-right statement socks for the stickball champ in all of us.
- Sugarfina: L.A.-based confectioner Sugarfina puts a sugar-coated spin on the ‘90s with five Nickelodeon-inspired boxed gummies including SpongeBob SquarePants pineapples and Slime green apples.
- Tidal Flip Flops: Tidal’s expertly engineered American-made flip flops take a step back in time with three exclusive styles featuring SpongeBob SquarePants, Ren & Stimpy and a ‘90s Nick character print.
- WattzUp: 3D-molded power chargers in the shape of fan-favorite Nick characters that charge to 100% in a single use.
Additionally, select Ren & Stimpy pieces from the fall 2016 Jeremy Scott collection will be available for purchase.
Happier Hours: Every Thursday from 6:00 – 8:00 pm running
August 11 - September 15
Revisit your after-school programming, grow’d up-style, at #TBT happy hours. We'll raise the roof with ‘90s-inspired food, strong cocktails, and (totally requested) music from DJ Saz.
Additional events for New York Fashion Week will be posted and announced at a later time.
LOCATION + DETAILS:
144 Tenth Avenue on the southeast corner at 19th Street
Monday - Wednesday: 11am-8pm
Friday - Saturday: 11am – 8pm
Sunday: 11am - 7pm
Twitter: @ThisIsStory; @TheSplat
Facebook: STORY; The Splat
ABOUT NEIMAN MARCUS GROUP:
Neiman Marcus Group LTD LLC is a luxury, multi-branded, omni-channel fashion retailer conducting integrated store and online operations under the Neiman Marcus, Bergdorf Goodman, Last Call, Horchow, CUSP, and mytheresa brand names. For more information, visit www.neimanmarcusgroup.com.
ABOUT RON ROBINSON:
In 1978, RON ROBINSON opened its doors at Fred Segal on Melrose Avenue, and has grown exponentially ever since. Today RON ROBINSON maintains its original Melrose location and has expanded with its first ever flagship concept store in Santa Monica. The new flagship location is a clear announcement of Ron Robinson’s continued singular retail vision, where he curates the elusive essence of SoCal cool and discovers the next big thing in design and “Fashion Art” in the men’s, women’s, kids, cosmetics, fragrance, jewelry, and home design arenas. Robinson is also world-renowned in the beauty industry for his collection of APOTHIA perfumes, lotions and home fragrances which were created for RON ROBINSON and have since expanded to hi-end retailers like Barney’s, Montage Resorts, The Wynn Las Vegas and others across the globe. He has been awarded with Interior Scent of the Year from the Fragrance Foundation for 8 of his 11 scents, the AIGA award of excellence and most recently has collaborated with the legendary Missoni family for an exclusive line of candles. RON ROBINSON is a true Los Angeles shopping experience and a destination in itself.
STORY is a retail concept based in Manhattan that blurs the lines between retail and media through an innovative, change-based model. Envisioned by founder Rachel Shechtman as a living magazine, the 2000-square-foot shop located on 10th Ave in Chelsea takes the editorial viewpoint of a magazine, changes like a gallery, and sells things like a store. Since opening, it has presented over 30 unique merchandise installations including Making Things, Style.Tech, and Home for the Holidays, and worked with partners including General Electric, Intel, and Target to bring each concept to life. Looked to as an industry innovator, STORY has been featured in the New York Times, Ad Age, and named one of New York's top shops by Time Out. On its behalf, Shechtman has been named to the Crain's NY "40 Under 40" List, Fast Company's list of "100 Most Creative People In Business."
Nickelodeon, now in its 37th year, is the number-one entertainment brand for kids. It has built a diverse, global business by putting kids first in everything it does. The company includes television programming and production in the United States and around the world, plus consumer products, online, recreation, books and feature films. Nickelodeon’s U.S. television network is seen in more than 90 million households and has been the number-one-rated basic cable network for 20 consecutive years. For more information or artwork, visit http://www.nickpress.com. Nickelodeon and all related titles, characters and logos are trademarks of Viacom Inc. (NASDAQ: VIA, VIAB).