DALLAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Kosmos Energy (NYSE: KOS) announced today the publication of its fourth annual Corporate Responsibility Report. The report reviews the company’s safety, environmental, and social performance and illustrates Kosmos’ commitment to transparency and its dedication to operating in accordance with its Business Principles.
“At Kosmos, we recognize that delivering lasting benefits to local communities and developing mutual trust with host governments is just as important as operating competently below ground in our search for hydrocarbons. That is why we help our host countries plan for future success in managing hydrocarbon resources, and invest in building the capacity needed to support sustainable local petroleum sectors. Our aim is to conduct our operations in a manner that creates widely shared economic and social opportunity,” said Andrew G. Inglis, chairman and chief executive officer.
By disclosing performance data, payments made to host governments, and real-life examples from Kosmos’ operations around the world, the report marks the company’s progress in promoting safety, environmental sustainability, human rights, and stakeholder engagement.
Key initiatives described in the report include:
- Disclosing payments made to host governments in aggregate and at the project level. Kosmos believes this type of disclosure is beneficial to civil society, local communities, and investors, and reflects evolving international expectations. It complements Kosmos’ existing practice of making its petroleum contracts publicly available on the company’s website.
- Achieving a major local content milestone in Ghana by employing a 100 percent Ghanaian team. With Kosmos’ local office staffed completely by nationals, and the support of an independent advisory council comprised of respected business leaders, the company is demonstrating its commitment to running its business for the benefit of the people of Ghana, as well as shareholders.
- Investing in training programs for local suppliers in Mauritania focusing on workplace health and safety.
- Completing an environmental and social impact assessment in Senegal ahead of drilling two natural gas discoveries which included consultation with more than 1,000 people in a range of coastal communities to ensure their concerns were documented and addressed prior to the start of operations.
- Facilitating oil and gas workshops for civil society organizations in Senegal as part of our engagement with the local chapter of the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative.
- Deepening cross-cultural understanding in the United States by sponsoring Spirit and Matter: Masterpieces of the Keir Collection of Islamic Art, an internationally acclaimed exhibition at the Dallas Museum of Art that preserves and protects treasures of the past while promoting new scholarship aimed at expanding collective knowledge of the Islamic World.
More information about the 2015 Corporate Responsibility Report, the company’s Business Principles, and Kosmos’ commitment to being a force for good can be found at www.kosmosenergy.com.
About Kosmos Energy
Kosmos is a leading independent oil and gas exploration and production company focused on frontier and emerging areas along the Atlantic Margin. Our assets include existing production and development projects offshore Ghana, large discoveries offshore Mauritania and Senegal, as well as exploration licenses with significant hydrocarbon potential offshore Portugal, Sao Tome and Principe, Suriname, Morocco and Western Sahara. As an ethical and transparent company, Kosmos is committed to doing things the right way. The Company’s Business Principles articulate our commitment to transparency, ethics, human rights, safety and the environment. Read more about this commitment in the Kosmos 2015 Corporate Responsibility Report. Kosmos is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and is traded under the ticker symbol KOS. For additional information, visit www.kosmosenergy.com.
This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. All statements, other than statements of historical facts, included in this press release that address activities, events or developments that Kosmos expects, believes or anticipates will or may occur in the future are forward-looking statements. Kosmos’ estimates and forward-looking statements are mainly based on its current expectations and estimates of future events and trends, which affect or may affect its businesses and operations. Although Kosmos believes that these estimates and forward-looking statements are based upon reasonable assumptions, they are subject to several risks and uncertainties and are made in light of information currently available to Kosmos. When used in this press release, the words “anticipate,” “believe,” “intend,” “expect,” “plan,” “will” or other similar words are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Such statements are subject to a number of assumptions, risks and uncertainties, many of which are beyond the control of Kosmos, which may cause actual results to differ materially from those implied or expressed by the forward-looking statements. Further information on such assumptions, risks and uncertainties is available in Kosmos’ Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”) filings. Kosmos undertakes no obligation and does not intend to update or correct these forward-looking statements to reflect events or circumstances occurring after the date of this press release, except as required by applicable law. You are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date of this press release. All forward-looking statements are qualified in their entirety by this cautionary statement.