BOSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--With the Internet of Things (IoT) continuing to gain traction, a future where connectivity knows no limits is becoming a reality and IoT Gateways are expected to see a compound annual growth rate of more than 130 percent by 2020, according to the latest edition of the PYMNTS.com Internet of Things Tracker.
This report, done collaboratively with Intel, a leading maker of processors and other innovative technology, focuses on news and trends from around the IoT sector. In June, Internet giant Google led the way, making several IoT-related advancements that were announced and launched, including:
• A partnership with longtime denim retailer Levi’s to produce a connected smart jacket, which will allow the wearer to make phone calls, play music and use third-party apps.
• Extending its reach into the smart home market by launching its IoT service, Google Assistant. It’s a platform that enables Google Home, a voice-powered device that lets homeowners manage and monitor all aspects of their houses through basic voice commands.
• Ara, Google’s modular smartphone, received an upgrade this month in advance of a potential release in 2017. The customizable device is made from interchangeable parts with the primary goal of extended the life of the smartphone.
In the Tracker Scorecard, 80 profiles were created for companies that provide IoT solutions in four categories: applications, devices, enabling technology and data. Each company was then identified as offering products and/or services in one or more categories including: data, devices, infrastructure, payments, security and software.
The scorecard also saw 10 new additions this month including: Afero, Asus, Flowthings.io, Mnubo, Netatmo, Notion, OnePlus, Pebble, Webroot and Spendwallet.
Here are some other highlights from the report:
• Notion, an IoT startup that provides connected home sensors, received $3.2 million in funding from Liberty Mutual Strategic Ventures and XL Innovate.
• Wearable devices provider Pebble raised $1 million in just over an hour through a Kickstarter campaign for its new smartwatch models.
• An interview with Will Wang Graylin, global co-general manager of Samsung Pay and longtime investor and board member of both ONvocal and People Power, two companies that recently teamed up to participate in PYMNTS’ 2016 Alexa Challenge.
To get exclusive insights, download the complete PYMNTS IoT Tracker.
PYMNTS.com is reinventing the way in which companies share relevant information about the initiatives that shape the future of payments and commerce and makes news. This powerful B2B platform is the #1 site for the payments industry by traffic and the premier source of information about “What’s Next” in payments and commerce. It provides an interactive platform for companies to demonstrate thought leadership, popularize products and, most importantly, capture the mindshare of global decision-makers. For more information, visit the PYMNTS website.