BLOOMFIELD, Conn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--With the release today of its 2015 Cigna Connects Corporate Responsibility (CR) Report, global health service company Cigna (NYSE:CI) offers an up-close look at the company’s Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) policies and priorities.
“Cigna Connects, our approach to corporate responsibility, builds powerful connections that positively impact the health of people, communities and the environment. Cigna is committed to serving as a catalyst for positive change in our communities around the world. We are proud to publish our 2015 updates on progress toward our environmental, social and governance objectives in our third Cigna Connects Corporate Responsibility Report,” said Cigna President and CEO David M. Cordani.
The report highlights Cigna's 2015 ESG accomplishments, including:
- Increasing to 15 LEED® certified properties in its domestic real estate portfolio
- Growing to 39 sites enrolled in the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s ENERGY STAR program
- Becoming a partner in the Department of Energy’s Workplace Charging Challenge and installing 12 electric vehicle charging stations at our Connecticut headquarters
- Implementing a greenhouse gas inventory management and third-party emissions verification process to support 2017 energy and emissions targets
- Contributing $12.7 million in combined Cigna giving through the Cigna Foundation, Civic Affairs and employee volunteering
- Funding 14 new Cigna Foundation World of Difference grants supporting a health equity focus and emphasizing new community health navigation work
- Packing more than 600,000 meals for Feeding Children Everywhere with the help of 6,500 Cigna employees, bringing the total of meals packed to one million
- Named one of the United States’ Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles by the National Business Group on Health
- Named to the 2015 Best Corporate Citizens List by Corporate Responsibility magazine
- Increasing spending in goods and services with diverse suppliers by 8 percent from prior year from more than 600 certified minority-and-women-owned business enterprises and other diverse suppliers across the United States
- Publishing a statement on human rights
- Introducing a Supplier Code of Ethics and new Director Code of Business Conduct and Ethics
- Honored by The World Affairs Council, Washington, D.C. as their 2015 Corporation of the Year in recognition of best practice by a U.S. multinational company in the global social responsibility sector
In 2015, Cigna became a signatory of the United Nations Global Compact, committing to the Compact’s 10 principles on human rights, labor, environment and anti-corruption. Cigna is the first U.S. health insurance company to join the Compact, and this 2015 report carries Cigna's first formal communications on how it supports the 10 Compact principles. Additionally, this report communicates, for the first time, Cigna's aspirations to support the UN Sustainable Development Goals, a global plan of action for the next 15 years, through aligning with the initiatives of the Cigna Foundation World of Difference grant program.
Cigna's annual CR Report, available online at www.cigna.com/corporateresponsibility, describes Cigna's strategically aligned approach to corporate responsibility, called Cigna Connects, and shares facts, figures and stories that demonstrate how Cigna works to create shared value for Cigna and society by applying its unique resources. The report communicates Cigna's leadership in creating a more sustainable health care system and demonstrates how Cigna's non-financial performance aligns with its mission, supports its core business, and creates benefits for stakeholders.
These actions and more are described in the CR Snapshot page of Cigna's 2015 report. Cigna's CR report was prepared in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) G4 Sustainability Reporting Guidelines. The GRI is the most widely used framework for voluntary, non-financial reporting. Please connect with Cigna to share thoughts or questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cigna Corporation (NYSE: CI) is a global health service company dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and sense of security. All products and services are provided exclusively by or through operating subsidiaries of Cigna Corporation, including Connecticut General Life Insurance Company, Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company, Life Insurance Company of North America and Cigna Life Insurance Company of New York. Such products and services include an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy, vision, supplemental benefits, and other related products including group life, accident and disability insurance. Cigna maintains sales capability in 30 countries and jurisdictions, and has more than 90 million customer relationships throughout the world. To learn more about Cigna®, including links to follow us on Facebook or Twitter, visit www.cigna.com.