BOSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Wayfair (NYSE:W), one of the world’s largest online destinations for home furnishings and décor, today announced the top 20 U.S. neighborhoods1 most likely to host the best backyard party this summer. The ranking is based on Wayfair.com sales data by region of outdoor summer goods across 15 popular categories including grills, meat smokers, outdoor dining sets, outdoor bars, chaise lounges, hammocks, pool floats and lawn games.
“Summer is officially underway and with the Fourth of July upon us, Wayfair analyzed its site data to determine which U.S. neighborhoods will have the most backyard fun this season,” said Alex Bowman, lead trend forecaster, Wayfair. “Outdoor spaces are a natural extension of the home and we’re seeing that consumers are increasingly focused on transforming their backyards into functional living areas where they can unwind and access many comforts of home without stepping inside.”
Top 20 U.S. Neighborhoods for Backyard Entertaining:
1. Palm Coast, Florida
2. Barnstable (Cape Cod), Massachusetts
3. Atlantic City, New Jersey
4. Stamford, Connecticut
5. Napa, California
6. Miami, Florida
7. Ocean City, New Jersey
8. Sarasota, Florida
9. Naples, Florida
10. Brunswick, Georgia
11. San Diego, California
12. Punta Gorda, Florida
13. Vero Beach, Florida
14. Boston, Massachusetts
15. Palm Bay, Florida
16. Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
17. Daytona Beach, Florida
18. Fort Myers, Florida
19. Santa Rosa, California
20. Port St. Lucie, Florida
It’s clear that Floridians enjoy their outdoor spaces, as 10 neighborhoods made the list, including Palm Coast at number one. New England summertime favorite Barnstable, Massachusetts came in second, while the Jersey Shore hot spot Atlantic City rounded out the top three.
Other findings2 from Wayfair’s summer goods sales data:
- Customers in the Florence, Alabama area would most likely serve up barbecue based on the amount of purchases of grills and meat smokers.
- Punta Gorda, Florida is home to backyard bartenders, as shoppers in this region have purchased the highest amount of outdoor bars.
Top selling outdoor bar: Bunting 3 Piece Bar Set
- Atlantic City, New Jersey knows how to kick back. Wayfair customers in this seaside locale bought the most hammocks and chaise lounges.
- Wayfair sales of pool floats haven’t dipped in Palm Coast, Florida. This sun-filled neighborhood stays cool in style.
Top selling pool float: 2 Piece Giant Swan and Parrot Swimming Pool Lounger Set
- Shoppers in the Sumter, South Carolina area are most likely to take part in the summer games as they’ve purchased the most lawn activities.
Top selling lawn game: Official Size 10 Piece Cornhole Game Set
Those interested in adding furniture and decor to their outdoor space can browse Wayfair’s recently expanded collection of outdoor offerings, which spans dozens of categories featuring thousands of items across all styles and prices. They can even personalize their outdoor space with Wayfair's new Custom Outdoor Cushion program offering endless style possibilities with 36 upholstery options and the ability to select size, color, fabric and cut of cushions or pillows, which ship in just one to two weeks.
1Highest number of purchases of summer goods across 15 categories per Wayfair shopper for metropolitan statistical areas (MSAs) with more than 1,000 Wayfair customers from January 1, 2015 to present. Categories included in the report are: Outdoor grills; Meat smokers; Outdoor dining sets; Outdoor bars; Bar stools, Outdoor fireplaces; Patio heaters; Chaise lounges; Adirondack chairs; Hammocks; Outdoor umbrellas; Outdoor lanterns & lighting; Lawn games; Pool floats; Pool toys.
2Highest number of purchases of summer goods across each individual category per Wayfair shopper for MSAs with more than 1,000 Wayfair customers from January 1, 2015 to present.
Wayfair Inc. offers an extensive selection of home furnishings and décor across all styles and price points. The Wayfair family of brands includes:
- Wayfair.com, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, a go-to online source for modern design
- DwellStudio, a design house for fashion-forward modern furnishings
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
Wayfair generated $2.25 billion in net revenues for full year 2015 and $747.3 million in net revenues for first quarter 2016. The company employed 4,604 people as of March 31, 2016 and is headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe.