HANOVER, Md.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Moffitt Cancer Center, one of the largest cancer centers in the United States based on patient volume, is deploying its own private enterprise network using packet optical technology from Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) to improve collaboration between physicians, researchers and clinicians. The network will support data-intensive applications such as advanced medical imaging, electronic health records and molecular medicine. The network will also improve efficiency and help eliminate costs associated with multiple, disparate networks.
- Moffitt Cancer Center served nearly 350,000 outpatient visits in 2015 and employs more than 5,000 people. This network connects five remote locations and covers approximately 50 miles in distance. The center has expanded its services tremendously over the past decade.
- With Ciena, Moffitt is ensuring its medical staff has assured access to patients’ updated Electronic Health Records (EHR) and the ability to collaborate on the various cancer research work being conducted. Moffitt recently deployed Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform, equipped with WaveLogic 3 Nano coherent optics, to provide high-capacity interconnectivity between Moffitt’s various remote locations and two data centers through dark fiber provided by FiberLight.
- Additionally, in order to free up additional resources to support patient care and facilitate new cost savings, Ciena’s 6500 delivers support for multiple services, future demands, and a variety of high-capacity applications. This has enabled them to save monthly recurring per-circuit charges.
- Moffitt Cancer Center will gain comprehensive control and visualization of the network ensuring efficient use of critical network assets and bandwidth optimization through Ciena’s unified network management system. Ciena is also providing Specialist Services, including implementation, project management and access to 24x7 technical support and resources.
“Building our own private network with Ciena helps support our mission
of contributing to the prevention and cure of cancer. It also gives us
a powerful communication infrastructure platform to improve patient
care through closer collaboration and data sharing between researchers
- John McFarland, Director of Technology Services, Moffitt Cancer Center
“Advances in eHealth initiatives can help advance key research efforts
and improve patient care, but existing healthcare infrastructures are
often ill-suited to support these priorities, which require
significant amounts of bandwidth. With this new network Moffitt Cancer
Center will have reliable and robust connectivity – that is both less
costly and complex – to facilitate the important work being done at
- Jason Phipps, General Manager and Vice President of North America Field Organization, Ciena
About Moffitt Cancer Center
Moffitt is dedicated to one lifesaving mission: to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. One of the largest cancer centers in the United States based on patient volume, the Tampa-based facility is one of only 45 National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Centers, a distinction that recognizes Moffitt’s excellence in research, its contributions to clinical trials, prevention and cancer control. Moffitt is the top-ranked cancer hospital in Florida and has been listed in U.S. News & World Report as one of the “Best Hospitals” for cancer care since 1999. Moffitt devotes more than 2 million square feet to research and patient care. With more than 5,000 team members, Moffitt has an economic impact in the state of $1.9 billion. For more information, call 1-888-MOFFITT (1-888-663-3488), visit MOFFITT.org, and follow the Moffitt momentum on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is the network specialist. We collaborate with customers worldwide to unlock the strategic potential of their networks and fundamentally change the way they perform and compete. Ciena leverages its deep expertise in packet and optical networking and distributed software automation to deliver solutions in alignment with its OPn architecture for next-generation networks. We enable a high-scale, programmable infrastructure that can be controlled and adapted by network-level applications, and provide open interfaces to coordinate computing, storage and network resources in a unified, virtualized environment. For updates on Ciena news, follow us on Twitter @Ciena or on LinkedIn.
Note to Ciena Investors
You are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website, where we routinely post press releases, SEC filings, recent news, financial results, and other announcements. From time to time we exclusively post material information to this website along with other disclosure channels that we use. This press release contains certain forward-looking statements that are based on our current expectations, forecasts, information and assumptions. These statements involve inherent risks and uncertainties. Actual results or outcomes may differ materially from those stated or implied, as a result of risks and uncertainties, including those detailed in our most recent annual or quarterly report filed with the SEC. Forward-looking statements include statements regarding our expectations, beliefs, intentions or strategies and can be identified by words such as "anticipate," "believe," "could," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "may," "should," "will," and "would" or similar words. Ciena assumes no obligation to update the information included in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.