LONDON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Digital money transfer service WorldRemit – the UK’s fastest-growing technology firm1 – and MTN Cote D’Ivoire have launched instant international remittances to MTN Mobile Money wallets in Cote D’Ivoire.
With the WorldRemit app, the Ivorian diaspora can now send overseas money transfers to any MTN Mobile Money wallet in Cote D’Ivoire – with a few simple taps. This means people in Cote D’Ivoire can now receive vital remittance payments on their phones or at any of the 10,000 nearest MTN money transfer agents as cash.
WorldRemit is the leading sender of digital remittances from its website and app to Mobile Money worldwide, sending to 33 different services in 24 countries across Europe, Africa, Asia and the Pacific. More than 100,000 WorldRemit transfers go to Mobile Money wallets every month.
MTN Mobile Money was established in Cote D’Ivoire in 2009 and is one of the largest and most dynamic Mobile Money services in West Africa - with more than three million accounts and 10,000 point-of-sale network.
In a country where 85% of adults lack bank accounts, MTN Mobile Money plays a vital role in supplying innovative and suitable financial services to the needs of the population. It allows Ivorians to securely store, send and receive money, pay for electricity and other bills, set up a savings account and access a range of other financial products, with just their phones, in Cote D’Ivoire and its sub-region.
Catherine Wines, co-founder and COO, WorldRemit, said: “Remittances are central to the lives of the Ivorian diaspora and the people they support back home. With Mobile Money (powered by MTN) increasingly becoming the norm in Cote D’Ivoire, WorldRemit and MTN are now giving Ivorians the security and convenience of receiving remittances on their phones as well.”
Freddy Tchala, General Director of MTN in Ivory Coast, also welcomed the partnership of MTN and WorldRemit, allowing diaspora to get closer to their relatives in Ivory Coast, and enriching the innovative financial services offering : "MTN welcomes this recent agreement which is in line with our continious efforts to improve access to financial services, not only for our local clients but also for Ivorians all over the world."
1. Deloitte Technology Fast 50 2015 - http://www.fast50.co.uk/2015-winners/2015-winners.aspx
Note to editors
- Images for press here.
- WorldRemit customers worldwide currently send 400,000 transfers each month.
- 100,000+ transfers on WorldRemit are sent to Mobile Money accounts every month, equivalent to 25% of all money transfers. More than 50% of all transfers to Africa are currently received as Mobile Money.
- Nearly 100 million individual Mobile Money accounts can be reached as part of WorldRemit’s network of partnerships with leading Mobile Money providers
- 30+Mobile Money services in 24 countries across Europe, Africa and Asia are connected to WorldRemit – from Armenia to Zimbabwe.
WorldRemit is changing the way people send money.
It’s easy – just open the app or visit the website – no more agents.
- Transfers to most countries are instant – send money like an instant message.
- More ways to receive (Mobile Money, bank transfer, cash pickup, and mobile airtime top-up).
- Available in over 50 countries and 125+ destinations.
- Backed by Accel Partners and TCV – investors in Facebook, Spotify, Netflix and Slack.
- WorldRemit is the UK’s fastest-growing technology company (Deloitte Technology Fast 50 2015)
WorldRemit’s global headquarters are in London, UK with regional offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia and New Zealand.
Read more: About us
About the MTN Group
MTN Côte d’Ivoire is a telecommunications company launched in July 1st, 2005 with the purchase by the South African group M-Cell, becoming MTN International, from mobile telephone license Loteny Telecom (Telcel).
MTN Côte d’Ivoire has been awarded best telecommunications provider in West Africa during Africa Telecom People 2014 forum and counts nearly 9 million subscribers.
MTN Côte d’Ivoire, is a global operator providing landline solutions, mobile and very fast broadband internet.
Our mission: "Make our clients’ lives even brighter"
For more information please visit our website www.mtn.ci