FRAMINGHAM, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--According to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, the worldwide hardcopy peripherals (HCP) market decreased 10.6% year over year on shipments of 23.11 million units in the first quarter of 2016 (1Q16). Inkjet printers experienced a year-over-year decline of 11.1% while the laser market declined 10.5% year over year.
Within the overall market, the contractual trend continues to grow with more than 1.8 million units being shipped for managed print services in 1Q16. All four of the major geographic regions – Asia/Pacific, Japan, Western Europe, and the United States – contributed to the positive contractual momentum, with year-over-year growth ranging from 3.9% to 41%.
Other notable highlights from the first quarter include the following:
- High End Color Laser Devices (45 ppm+) continued to grow year over year, gaining 8.4% in 1Q16.
- Epson maintained its year-over-year growth streak, albeit at a more conservative rate of 6.7% this quarter versus an average of about 19% in 2015. The China market was largely responsible for pulling down Epson's growth rate after the vendor and its channels effectively reached their fiscal year targets during the last three quarters of 2015.
- HP grew its total laser business 3.0% year over year in North America (U.S. and Canada), accounting for 39% share. The Color Laser 21-30ppm segment grew by 785.5% annually, as both printer and MFP shipments moved upstream. The Color LaserJet M2xx family is driving demand, where HP had found great acceptance of the new Jet Advantage technology.
|Worldwide Hardcopy Peripherals, Unit Shipments, Market Share, and Year-over-Year Growth, Q1 2016|
|1. HP Inc||8,385,014||36.3%||10,304,907||39.9%||-18.6%|
Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, May 2016
In addition to the table above, an interactive graphic showing the worldwide market share of the top 5 hardcopy peripheral vendors over the previous five quarters is available here. The chart is intended for public use in online news articles and social media. Instructions on how to embed this graphic can be found by viewing this press release on IDC.com.
- IDC tracks A2-A4 devices in the Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals
- Hardcopy Peripherals include single-function printers, multifunctional systems (MFPs), and single-function digital copiers (SF DC). Data for all vendors are reported for calendar periods.
For more information about IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, please contact Phuong Hang (firstname.lastname@example.org).
About IDC Trackers
IDC Tracker products provide accurate and timely market size, vendor share, and forecasts for hundreds of technology markets from more than 100 countries around the globe. Using proprietary tools and research processes, IDC's Trackers are updated on a semiannual, quarterly, and monthly basis. Tracker results are delivered to clients in user-friendly excel deliverables and on-line query tools. The IDC Tracker Charts app allows users to view data charts from the most recent IDC Tracker products on their iPhone and iPad. The IDC Tracker Chart app is also available for Android Phones and Android Tablets.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. With more than 1,100 analysts worldwide, IDC offers global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. IDC's analysis and insight helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based technology decisions and to achieve their key business objectives. Founded in 1964, IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology media, research, and events company. To learn more about IDC, please visit www.idc.com. Follow IDC on Twitter at @IDC.