PHILADELPHIA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--In its next step of environmental stewardship, PECO today announced the leadership and creation of an exciting new Solar Stakeholder Collaborative. Kicking off this summer, the Collaborative will work together to advance local solar energy with invited participation from customer advocates, public officials, competitive electric suppliers, solar supporters, and other interested partners.
“We have a proven track record of environmental leadership,” said Craig Adams, PECO president and CEO. “We also have a very successful history of working with collaboratives like this to provide advanced energy services, choices and programs for our customers.”
Previous work has resulted in successful pilot programs including PECO Wind, PECO Smart Time Pricing and PECO Smart Energy Choice – each supporting Pennsylvania’s competitive energy market and promoting the development of electricity generated from clean resources and new pricing options.
The Collaborative will work together to advance the solar energy market in Pennsylvania. Today’s announcement is the latest in a series of successful environmental initiatives for PECO.
- Most recently, the Company announced LEED certification of its Philadelphia headquarters. Twelve PECO buildings are now LEED certified, totaling nearly 1.5 million square feet of building space, 80 percent of the Company’s total square footage and more than 30 percent of all LEED Existing Building Operations and Maintenance (EBOM) certified buildings throughout Pennsylvania.
- PECO Smart Ideas, the company’s successful suite of energy efficiency programs for residential and business customers, launched in 2009. The programs have helped customers reduce energy consumption by nearly 7 percent, resulting in a savings of more than 2 billion kilowatt-hours of electricity and more than $500 million in annual energy costs, in addition to more than $200 million in rebates and incentives.
- PECO’s environmentally friendly green fleet continues to grow and currently includes approximately 800 hybrid, natural gas, flex fuel and biodiesel vehicles. These vehicles have reduced greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by more than 1,098 metric tons annually. The company also is supporting the Edison Electric Institute’s employee plug-in electric vehicle engagement initiative.
- The PECO Energizing Education Program, a partnership with The Franklin Institute and The National Energy Education Development Project, teaches students the importance of energy efficiency and conservation through hands-on activities. More than 25,000 students have participated in this program.
- PECO Green Region environmental grants provide funding for open space preservation, park improvement projects, recreation resources and conservation. Since 2004, PECO has awarded nearly $1.4 million for more than 180 projects across southeastern Pennsylvania.
- We offer green rates for customers who are interested in adding solar and other sources of generation to their homes and businesses.
- And we purchase about 12.5 MW of solar generated electricity each year, in addition to our other wind and renewable energy purchases.
Environmental commitment also is a priority across the Exelon family of companies. Our sister company, Constellation, is the third largest commercial developer in the state – developing more than 72 commercial, industrial and governmental customer solar installations, totaling more than 200 MW of capacity. And our parent company, Exelon, also has developed more than 250 MW of utility solar projects, in addition to its portfolio of 47 wind projects totaling nearly 1,500 MW.
Based in Philadelphia, PECO is an electric and natural gas utility subsidiary of Exelon Corporation (NYSE: EXC). The company’s 2,400 dedicated employees provide advanced, innovative energy solutions to 1.6 million electric and more than 511,000 natural gas customers in southeastern Pennsylvania. In 2015 PECO delivered 86.9 billion cubic feet of natural gas and 38 billion kilowatt-hours of electricity. The company also has an estimated annual economic impact of $4.5 billion in Pennsylvania, supporting more than 9,600 local jobs and producing $760 million in labor income. Founded in 1881, PECO is one of the Greater Philadelphia Region's most active corporate citizens, providing leadership, volunteer and financial support to numerous arts and culture, education, environmental, economic development and community programs and organizations. For more information visit PECO.com, and connect with the company on Facebook and Twitter.
If you are a member of the media and would like to receive PECO news releases via e-mail please send your e-mail address to PECO.Communication@exeloncorp.com.