NEEDHAM, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--PTC (NASDAQ: PTC) today announced that it is extending its ThingWorx® Internet of Things (IoT) open platform strategy by supporting the industry’s leading public IoT device cloud offerings. In addition to offering its own device cloud service, the ThingWorx platform now integrates with Amazon Web Services (AWS) IoT, and will fully support Microsoft Azure IoT Hub in July. PTC will pursue additional device cloud integrations for ThingWorx, which will allow customers to realize the collective range of services provided by these companies, including the availability of connected device data.
Device cloud services are becoming an integral part of the IoT landscape, used by enterprises to capture and analyze vast amounts of data from the ‘things’ in the IoT. One of the challenges for enterprises, to date, is that they want to invest more time innovating above the device cloud level, building applications that leverage the underlying device cloud data. PTC’s integration of the ThingWorx platform with AWS IoT and impending integration with Microsoft Azure IoT Hub, along with future device cloud support, will allow enterprises to more fully leverage their cloud investments as well as mix and match their preferred combination of world-class components from a range of cloud providers and ThingWorx.
“Our open IoT platform strategy is driven by our customers’ need to grow and scale their IoT projects,” said Jim Heppelmann, PTC president and CEO. “By working closely with IoT cloud leaders, we can unlock unprecedented value from the IoT, which will enable our customers to further enhance their products and offerings.”
“The cloud is becoming increasingly important to the growth of enterprise IoT, and IT architects need to consider which IoT cloud platform offerings will serve as a foundation for IoT initiatives today and in the future,” said Vernon Turner, senior vice president and fellow for the Internet of Things, IDC. “PTC is taking a significant step with its integration of the ThingWorx platform with the leading IoT cloud platforms. This will not only increase the openness of ThingWorx as a platform, but it will also allow PTC customers to identify and implement the appropriate components across cloud platforms to further their IoT initiatives.”
For enterprise customers, integrations with multiple cloud offerings enable several anticipated benefits, including:
- Significantly Faster Development Speed—Enterprises and IoT-based service providers across industries are racing to build competitive IoT-based offerings. The ThingWorx model-based development environment, with pre-built integrations to major cloud platforms, will enable customers to accelerate development and time-to-market, providing an important competitive advantage.
- Open Solution—The ThingWorx architecture remains open over time, giving companies the freedom to evolve their devices, clouds, databases, and enterprise systems as their environment and needs change. ThingWorx supports integration to existing systems and architectures, allowing organizations to extend current investments and expand more easily over time.
PTC will host a livestream event on May 4, 2016, to educate the industry on the topic of open platform strategies. More information will be available soon.
- ThingWorx Internet of Things Platform
- PTC Internet of Things
- Open Platform and Cloud Solutions Landing Page
- ThingWorx Developer Zone
- LiveWorx® 2016 – June 6-9, Boston. The event for those who design, manufacture, and service today’s products as well as those that develop the applications and experiences that will unleash the future potential of those things.
The timing and functionality of any future or planned PTC solution or integration is subject to change at PTC’s discretion.
PTC (NASDAQ: PTC) is a global provider of technology platforms and solutions that transform how companies create, operate, and service the ‘things’ in the Internet of Things (IoT). The company’s next-generation ThingWorx® technology platform gives developers the tools they need to capture, analyze, and capitalize on the vast amounts of data being generated by smart, connected products and systems. The company’s field-proven solutions are deployed in more than 26,000 businesses worldwide to generate a product or service advantage. PTC’s award-winning CEO, considered an industry thought leader, co-authored the definitive guides to the impact of the IoT on business in the Harvard Business Review.
PTC, the PTC logo, and ThingWorx are trademarks or registered trademarks of PTC Inc. or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.