DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Research and Markets has announced the addition of the "OpportunityAnalyzer: Small Cell Lung Cancer (SCLC) - Opportunity Analysis and Forecasts to 2024" report to their offering.
Initially considered a curable disease due to substantial sensitivity to first-line chemotherapies, small cell lung cancer (SCLC) remains a fatal disease with poor outcomes due to high relapse rates, with the majority of patients surviving one year or less after diagnosis. Unlike non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC), in which major advances in treatment have been made following the approval of several targeted therapies, the field of SCLC has seen little advancement for several decades.
For the purposes of this report, we consider the Global SCLC market to include SCLC-specific drug sales in the 7MM (US, 5EU [France, Germany Italy, Spain, and the UK], and Japan). The current market across these countries is dominated by the sale of major generic chemotherapy regimens. GlobalData estimated that the Global SCLC market was valued at $198m in 2014. Following the expected approval of new agents over the forecast period, relapsed/refractory patients will have significantly improved therapeutic options leading to rapid uptake of these drugs.
The increased use of branded therapies in treatment-naïve and advanced patients, such as Yervoy, Opdivo, roniciclib, and sacituzumab govitecan, will be the primary driver of the substantial growth in the SCLC market over the forecast period, which is expected to grow at a positive CAGR of almost 28% in the 7MM.
Key Questions Answered
- Based on interviews with key opinion leaders (KOLs), GlobalData has identified the major unmet needs in the SCLC marketplace. Will the leading pipeline agents fulfil these unmet needs during the forecast period (2014-2024)?
- What research and development (R&D) strategies will companies leverage to compete in the future SCLC marketplace?
- Which pipeline products are poised to make a major clinical and commercial impact?
- What clinical and commercial factors are likely to influence SCLC drug uptake in the 7MM?
- The greatest driver of growth within the Global SCLC market will be the launch and increased use of premium-priced therapies, including anti-PD-1 immunotherapy and targeted agents such as roniciclib and sacituzumab govitecan. GlobalData expects Yervoy to reach blockbuster status by the end of the forecast period, with global sales of around $1bn.
- Continuous dosing regimens until disease progression and adoption of maintenance setting following induction therapy for first-line patients will contribute to the increased sales of branded drugs.
- Toxicity is likely to remain a major concern as new first-line treatment options are approved considering companies are developing them in combination with platinum-etoposide. Therefore, substantial opportunity remains to develop therapies that have improved safety profiles compared with agents in the current SCLC pipeline.
- An increasing emphasis on cost-consciousness is anticipated over the forecast period, which will limit premium pricing opportunities for developers of SCLC pipeline agents. GlobalData expects this era of austerity and healthcare reform to make it increasingly more difficult for pharmaceutical companies to gain reimbursement approval for their new SCLC therapies.
- BioMarin Pharmaceutical
- Bristol Myers Squibb
- Cerulean Pharma
- OncoMed Pharmaceuticals
- Pharma MaR
- Stem CentRX
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/lkdhxz/opportunityanalyze