LIVONIA, Mich.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Valassis, a leader in intelligent media delivery, today released the 2K16 Coupon Intelligence Report: “Savvy Shoppers Provide Reality Check.” The newly released report examines consumer buying behavior across generations, providing detailed insight into print and digital coupon usage.
“Ninety percent of all consumers across a variety of demographics use print and digital coupons,” said Curtis Tingle, Valassis Chief Marketing Officer. “What may be a surprise is that 83 percent of the influential millennial generation used the same or more print coupons last year in addition to their increased digital coupon use. The key for astute marketers is to develop integrated print and digital coupon strategies to optimize consumer activation.”
The report’s findings include:
Print coupons are essential
As digital media and mobile use increase – particularly among millennials – it is not at the expense of traditional media, namely print. According to the 2K16 Coupon Intelligence Report:
- 87 percent of all consumers use print coupons they receive in the mail;
- 82 percent of all consumers use coupons delivered via the newspaper coupon book; and
- Millennial use of mail and newspaper coupons increased more than other generations in the last year.
Affluent shoppers use coupons
Coupon use is not limited by income level, as even affluent shoppers ($100K+ household income) seek value when making purchases. The report found:
- 90 percent of affluent shoppers use coupons; and
- 76 percent of affluent shoppers only buy a product if they have a coupon compared to 72 percent of all consumers.
Smart, brand loyal shoppers use coupons
Coupons are a significant influence on brand loyal shoppers’ purchase decisions, impacting how they plan, where they shop and which brands they buy:
- 91 percent of brand loyal shoppers use coupons; and
- 78 percent are influenced to buy a brand they wouldn’t typically buy due to a coupon.
Coupons offer more than just a discount
Coupons do more than just provide an incentive, they impact the consumer’s entire buying decision process:
- 86 percent of all consumers use coupons to plan their shopping lists; and
- 77 percent of all consumers select their stores based on where they can use paper coupons.
A full copy of the 2K16 Valassis Coupon Intelligence Report can be found at: http://www.valassis.com/2016-coupon-intelligence-report.aspx.
About the 2K16 Valassis Coupon Intelligence Report
The study was fielded in the third quarter of 2015 in conjunction with Ipsos, a global market research firm. The sample was derived from an online consumer opinion panel, and all participants were at least 18 years of age and living in the contiguous United States. The responses were weighted by factors obtained from national census data to provide appropriate representations of demographic groups at summary levels.
Valassis is a leader in intelligent media delivery, providing over 58,000 clients with innovative media solutions to influence consumers wherever they plan, shop, buy and share. By integrating online and offline data combined with powerful insights, Valassis precisely targets its clients’ most valuable shoppers, offering unparalleled reach and scale. NCH Marketing Services, Inc. and Clipper Magazine are Valassis subsidiaries, and RedPlum® is its consumer brand. Its signature Have You Seen Me?® program delivers hope to missing children and their families. Valassis is a wholly owned subsidiary of Harland Clarke Holdings Corp.