NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Pfizer Inc. (NYSE: PFE) released today its 2015 integrated annual review, an in-depth look into the company’s financial, social and environmental performance. 2015 was marked by breakthrough scientific research, collaborations and partnerships. In the review, our scientists, researchers and business leaders offer in-depth looks at their projects and how they are working to discover and develop potential new medicines and vaccines to improve patient health.
“Our purpose at Pfizer is to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives,” said Pfizer Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Ian C. Read. “Thanks to the more than 97,000 Pfizer colleagues around the world, we met our yearly commitments and continued to build the company's capabilities toward our goal to become the world's premier, innovative biopharmaceutical company by the end of this decade.”
As a result of our research as well as innovative collaborations with our peers and research partners, we saw great scientific progress across multiple therapeutic areas in 2015.
- We advanced 39 potential new therapies in our R&D pipeline, representing the strongest progress in Pfizer's history.
- Our research efforts in oncology have resulted in a broad and deep portfolio of compounds, including five immuno-oncology assets in human studies that have the potential to address the urgent therapeutic needs of cancer patients.
- We advanced our investigational vaccines pipeline to research some of the most deadly infectious diseases that affect people of all ages.
In 2015, Pfizer made great strides to help ensure patients around the world have access to the Pfizer medicines and vaccines that are approved and available. “Our very license to operate depends on ensuring the medicines we make to improve patient health and wellbeing are available to as many people as possible,” commented Sally Susman, Executive Vice President, Corporate Affairs. “Patient assistance is not a program or catchphrase, it is a commitment.”
- In 2015, we significantly expanded the eligibility of our U.S. patient assistance program, Pfizer RxPathways®. The program helped more than 250,000 people access our medicines during the year.
- We continued global health partnerships including the International Trachoma Initiative at The Task Force for Global Health, which seeks to eliminate the world's leading cause of preventable blindness and marked 2015 with the 500 millionth dose donation of antibiotic Zithromax® (azithromycin).
- 2015 was the 5th year of our partnership with Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance, in which we have pledged 740M doses of pneumococcal vaccines to immunize children in GAVI countries through 2025.
- To address family planning needs of women in the developing world, our collaboration with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the Children's Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF) completed its first-full year, and was successful in helping broaden access to injectable contraceptive, Sayana® Press (medroxyprogesterone acetate), to tens of thousands of women across several countries in Africa and Asia.1
Hear directly from our scientists, researchers and business leaders in our annual review: www.pfizer.com/annual
Pfizer Inc.: Working together for a healthier world®
At Pfizer, we apply science and our global resources to bring therapies to people that extend and significantly improve their lives. We strive to set the standard for quality, safety and value in the discovery, development and manufacture of healthcare products. Our global portfolio includes medicines and vaccines as well as many of the world's best-known consumer healthcare products. Every day, Pfizer colleagues work across developed and emerging markets to advance wellness, prevention, treatments and cures that challenge the most feared diseases of our time. Consistent with our responsibility as one of the world's premier innovative biopharmaceutical companies, we collaborate with health care providers, governments and local communities to support and expand access to reliable, affordable health care around the world. For more than 150 years, Pfizer has worked to make a difference for all who rely on us. For more information, please visit us at www.pfizer.com. In addition, to learn more, follow us on Twitter at @Pfizer and @Pfizer_News, LinkedIn, YouTube and like us on Facebook at Facebook.com/Pfizer.
DISCLOSURE NOTICE: The information contained in this release is as of March 15, 2016. Pfizer assumes no obligation to update forward-looking statements contained in this release as the result of new information or future events or developments.
This release contains forward-looking information that involves substantial risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such statements. Risks and uncertainties include, among other things, the uncertainties inherent in research and development; and competitive developments.
A further description of risks and uncertainties can be found in Pfizer's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2015 and in its subsequent reports on Form 10-Q, including in the sections thereof captioned "Risk Factors" and "Forward-Looking Information and Factors That May Affect Future Results", as well as in its subsequent reports on Form 8-K, all of which are filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and available at www.sec.gov and www.pfizer.com.
1 PATH/CIFF data on file