DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/rdlvbl/the_leading) has announced the addition of the "The Leading Grocery Retailers in Africa: The Key International and African Supermarket Chains and their Growth Strategies" report to their offering.
Since 2000, the pace of international grocery retailer expansion in Africa has picked up, led by South Africa's Shoprite chain. As incomes have risen across Africa and a larger and more identifiable consumer class has emerged, both Africa-based and other international grocers have taken a closer look at market entry.
Against the narrative of Africa Rising', however, the operational realities of setting up stores and building sustainable supplier networks in what are often quite challenging markets has made progress slow. In this report we analyze the size and spread of international grocery retailer expansion and the winning strategies leading players are using.
- There is no single pattern of international expansion: we have identified four distinct patterns of growth: South African-led expansion, Francophone expansion, Middle Eastern-led expansion and Kenyan-led expansion.
- Shoprite is the leading grocery retailer in Africa by some distance: with 1,476 grocery stores across Africa, it is present in 14 countries - even after having exited Zimbabwe, Tanzania and Uganda.
- There are four main strategic models retailers are using to expand: Casino, Walmart (Massmart), BiM and Shoprite exemplify one of these four models, each of which carries its own strategic implications.
Key Topics Covered:
1. The Leading International Retailers in Africa
- The leading grocery retailers operating internationally in Africa
- Geographic footprint of leading grocery retailers outside their largest market
2. The Leading African Retailers Expanding Within Africa
- Pick n Pay
3. Grocery Retailer Expansion Strategies
- The four key existing models of retailer expansion strategy
- High flexibility, wide geographic spread
- Low flexibility, wide geographic spread
- Low flexibility, high penetration
- The middle ground between flexibility, consolidation and geographic spread
- Pick n Pay
- Système U
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/rdlvbl/the_leading