DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/l4wrsf/type_1_diabetes) has announced the addition of the "Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus Therapeutics in Major Developed Markets to 2021 - Innovative and Diversified Pipeline to Drive Market Growth Despite Patent Expirations" report to their offering.
Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus (T1DM) is a chronic, progressive and serious disease characterized by a destruction or failure of insulin-secreting pancreatic beta cells, usually as a result of an autoimmune response. The resulting insulin deficiency prevents insulin-sensitive cells from carrying out essential glucose metabolism and leads to hyperglycemia (high blood glucose levels).
As a result, immediate and lifelong treatment with exogenous insulin therapy is initiated upon diagnosis of T1DM. Exogenous insulin has remained the mainstay of T1DM therapy since it was used to treat the first human patient in 1922.
Consequently, insulin products comprise the vast majority of the T1DM market, which is largely monopolized by three big pharma players: Eli Lilly, Novo Nordisk and Sanofi. However, insulin treatment regimens are often inconvenient and are associated with undesirable side effects such as hypoglycemia (low blood glucose levels) and weight gain.
In addition, there is a significant unmet need for more diversified treatment options including therapies capable of altering the clinical course of the pathological beta cell destruction and adjuvant therapies capable of improving glycemic control and reducing insulin requirements.
- An introduction to T1DM, which includes classification, symptoms, etiology, pathophysiology, co-morbidities and complications, diagnosis and treatment
- An analysis of the leading insulin therapies in the current T1DM marketed products landscape.
- An analysis of the pipeline for T1DM. This includes a breakdown of pipeline molecules by stage of development, molecule type, route of administration, molecular target and novelty. Trends in T1DM clinical trial size, duration and failure rates, by molecule type and molecular target are discussed. A comparative analysis of the most promising pipeline molecules is also provided.
- Forecast projections for the T1DM market to 2021. An analysis is provided for the global market and each of the eight major markets. The forecast incorporates projected, low and high variance scenarios based on treatment usage patterns and annual therapy costs in each of the major markets.
- An analysis of strategic consolidations, including co-development and licensing deals, within the T1DM indication.
Key Topics Covered:
1 Tables & Figures
3 Marketed Products
5 Market Forecast to 2021
6 Strategic Consolidations
- Bayhill Therapeutics
- Diamyd Medical
- Eli Lilly
- JHL Biotech
- Janssen Research & Development
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation International
- King's College
- MannKind Corporation
- Novo Nordisk
- Osiris Therapeutics
- Transition Therapeutics
- University of Technology Sydney
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/l4wrsf/type_1_diabetes