INDIAN WELLS, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--PRIUM’s Senior Vice President Mark Pew will present “Laying a Foundation for a Work Comp Drug Formulary” at the 2016 PARMA Annual Risk Managers Conference next week.
“Formularies facilitate the timely delivery of evidence-based pharmaceutical care,” Pew said. “They require a clinical rationale for prescribing opioids and other drugs that are typically not recommended for first-line treatment, which helps protect the injured worker.”
Pew, who serves as a technical advisor on formulary development to California and other states, will:
- Define drug formularies and explain how state drug formularies in workers compensation work;
- Share how drugs are selected for inclusion or exclusion in the formulary;
- Explain the different types of formularies and compare those in Texas, Oklahoma, Washington, and Ohio along with California’s plans;
- Discuss the impact formularies are having on opioid prescriptions and pharmacy costs; and
- Outline guiding principles when designing and deploying a formulary.
“Formularies can lower claims costs by changing prescribing behavior and cost drivers like physician dispensing and compounds,” Pew noted.
The 2016 PARMA Conference will take place February 23-26 at the Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa in Indian Wells, California. The formulary session will be held at 1:30 p.m. on February 25. For more information on PARMA and to register for the conference, please see http://parma.com/2016-annual-conference.
An Ameritox solutions provider, PRIUM sets the industry standard for workers' compensation medical interventions through a collaborative physician engagement process encompassing evidence-based medicine, clinical oversight, and jurisdictional guidelines to ensure optimal financial and clinical outcomes. Its ability to secure higher agreement rates with physicians to modify treatment plans and ensure compliance is unmatched. The hallmark of the medical intervention company's success is to eliminate unnecessary treatment through a comprehensive approach that includes complex medical interventions, utilization reviews, and independent medical exams. Based in Duluth, Ga., PRIUM can be reached at www.prium.com or 888-588-4964.
Twitter: @PRIUM1 and @RxProfessor