VOORHEES, N.J.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--American Water (NYSE: AWK), the largest publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company, announced today that applications are now being accepted by its participating state subsidiaries for the company’s 2016 Environmental Grant Program awards. The grant awards will be available in American Water service areas in 13 states as follows: California, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia.
Established in 2005, American Water’s Environmental Grant Program offers funds for innovative, community-based environmental projects that improve, restore or protect the watersheds, surface water and/or groundwater supplies through partnerships.
American Water is committed to ensuring water quality through testing and treatment, as well as through consumer education and community source protection programs. The company believes everyone is an environmental steward in protecting the nation’s water supplies, and this program is one way to help communities play an active role in this important effort.
To qualify, proposed projects must:
- Address a source water or watershed protection need in the community
- Be completed between May 1, 2016 and November 30, 2016
- Be a new or innovative program for the community, or serve as a significant expansion to an existing program
- Be carried out by a formal or informal partnership between two or more organizations
- Provide evidence of sustainability (continued existence after the American Water grant monies are utilized)
- Be located within one of American Water's service areas in the following states: California, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia.
Information and application requirements can be obtained directly from participating American Water state subsidiaries, or on the Corporate Responsibility section of the company website at http://www.amwater.com/corporate-responsibility/addressing-climate-variability/environmental-grant-program.html. Applications must be postmarked by April 1, 2016 and recipients will be notified by April 18, 2016.
In 2015, a total of 47 projects throughout American Water’s service areas in 10 states were awarded grants totaling more than $172,000.
About American Water
Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Voorhees, N.J., the company employs approximately 6,800 dedicated professionals who provide drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 47 states and Ontario, Canada. More information can be found at www.amwater.com.