MAUMEE, Ohio--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Ravishing Red. Blackberry. Courtyard Green. These are just three of the top 10 hot residential door colors for 2016 identified by color expert Kate Smith.
“Front door colors that will be favorites this year are all earthy, stand-out shades,” says Smith, president of Sensational Color. “From bold and expressive colors influenced by cross cultural experiences to muted hues that invite us to relax and step out of the fast flow of life. All of the 2016 color trends allow homeowners to express their personality and style.”
For homeowners looking to convey their “colorful self,” Smith suggests selecting paintable doors, such as those found in the Therma-Tru® Classic-Craft® Canvas Collection® and Pulse® doors. “These doors are a blank canvas for color and can work as an accent for the home exterior,” says Smith. “The beauty of these doors is that they can be painted to reflect the most current preferences or our need for something new.”
2016 Door Color Trends
Smith describes the top 10 door colors for 2016 and four categories of homeowners selecting these trendy colors as follows:
- Juneberry (Sherwin-Williams SW 6573) – An attention-getting, earthy color that merges past and present into a modern design. Ideally suited for an expressive homeowner who likes to show enthusiasm for life.
- Blueberry Hill (Benjamin Moore 812) – A fun take on a tried-and-true blue hue, this color works well for an amiable homeowner because it shows a natural ability to create harmony through every aspect of life.
- Courtyard Green (Benjamin Moore 546) – This quietly determined color kicks green up a notch. Also for an amiable homeowner, this color puts a modern spin on organic elements to create a unique style accent.
- Lazy Afternoon (Pittsburgh Paints PPG 1007-5) – This neutral color reminds us of a quiet afternoon in a soothing space. People drawn to this door color are reflective in nature, often viewing their home as their personal haven.
- Friendly Yellow (Sherwin-Williams SW 6680) – A pale, neutral yellow that's warm and welcoming. Homeowners selecting this color trust their instincts and use them wisely to successfully navigate through life.
- Blackberry (Sherwin-Williams SW 7577) – Pulling black out of its depth by adding fresh berry creates a color that is dramatic and modern. Discerning homeowners who gravitate to design styles that are both functional and beautiful will love this door color.
- Galapagos (Behr T16-04) – This energetic color revives spirits and rebalances the energy in our lives. Whether you are an optimist, nonconformist or someone who just likes to voice an opinion, your expressive personality is heard loud and clear with this stylish color.
- Calabash Clash (Pittsburgh Paints PPG 1135-6) – An adaptable color that can evoke serenity or awaken a home to infinite possibilities, this color works best for reflective homeowners who are best described as smart, complex and stable.
- Black Walnut (Pittsburgh Paints PPG 1014-7) – A sophisticated blend of black and brown, this hearty color choice connects to a homeowner's need for strength and stability. A reflective person who goes within themselves to gain strength and stay centered would feel in tune with this color on their front door.
- Ravishing Red (Benjamin Moore 2008-10) – Somewhere between bold red and quiet terracotta, the overall surrounding of the home will determine if this color is seen as vibrant or subdued. Expressive homeowners who are creative like to use this unexpected color to show their optimistic style toward life.
Universal Colors for the Home
According to Smith, one of the most appealing aspects of the 2016 forecasted door color trends is their ability to work well with different home exterior textures, materials and finishes. "These colors all lend themselves to both new construction and remodeling projects for a home exterior," says Smith. "A painted Therma-Tru fiberglass door can be the sole upgrade project on a home or part of the construction of a new home.
"The universality of these colors work well with sidings made of brick, cement or hardboard. They complement trim elements of the home too – whether woodgrain, smooth or textured.
"Overall, these colors reflect our appreciation of natural environmental settings. These are colors that define who we are, what our lifestyles are, and what our personalities say about ourselves to our family and friends."
About Kate Smith
Career color trend forecaster Kate Smith shows companies, designers and consultants how to become a go-to resource for color expertise. She provides color information, tools and services using her color expertise. Free copies of her successful e-books, FRESH Color Schemes for Your Home Exterior and FRESH Home Exterior Colors, along with other color tips, can be found at http://www.thermatru.com/design-innovation/design/index.aspx.
Therma-Tru is the leading entry door brand most preferred by building professionals. Founded in 1962, Therma-Tru pioneered the fiberglass entry door industry, and today offers a complete portfolio of entry and patio door system solutions, including decorative glass doorlites, sidelites and transoms, and door components. The company also offers low-maintenance Fypon® urethane and PVC products. Headquartered in Maumee, Ohio, Therma-Tru is part of Fortune Brands Home & Security, Inc. (NYSE: FBHS). For more information and product warranty details, visit www.thermatru.com, www.fypon.com or call (800) 537-8827.