PHOENIX--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The holidays remind us of the things we’re thankful for, and for those with adopted pets, their furry friends top the list. If you’re looking to adopt this holiday season, you’re in luck: thousands of loving pets are waiting to find a forever home during PetSmart Charities National Adoption Weekend, Nov. 13-15 – just in time for the holidays – at more than 1,400 PetSmart stores in the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico.
More than 3,000 local adoption partners work with PetSmart Charities, along with PetSmart’s support, to help potential adopters find their perfect match and give adopted pets their own “Gotcha Day” – the day they find their forever homes.
“As the season approaches, we all are thinking about ways to make this holiday season memorable, full and rich and saving a life by adopting a pet is a fabulous way to celebrate the wonder of the season,” said Eran Cohen, chief customer experience officer, PetSmart. “We are proud to help pet parents at every step of the process – from finding their new pet during our National Adoption Weekend to serving as a trusted partner as families transition and welcome the pets into the home.”
To help adopters make an easy transition into the home with their newly adopted pet this holiday season, PetSmart has developed the top five helpful tips.
- Give your pet a safe space: The holidays are a social time of year, but not all visits are welcome for pets just learning their way around a new home. When you’re expecting visitors, your pet may be happier and safer in a space of his or her own. Make sure to leave treats, toys and other activities with your pet to keep him or her occupied and engaged. It’s best to monitor your pet when providing certain toys for their chewing pleasure.
- Watch out for holiday décor: The festive accents of the season are beautiful, but that very attraction can be dangerous for pets. Keep an eye out for how your new pet reacts to your holiday decorations and adjust accordingly. Some décor can be placed high up out of pets reach, and be extra careful with candles or other open flames. Also, remember that some plants often used as holiday décor can have leaves, berries or sap that are dangerous for pets, so it is best to opt for artificial versions when pets are being introduced into the home for the first time.
- Consider holiday treats: Sweet treats are hard to resist during the holidays, and those aromas are just as appealing to pets. Unfortunately, many holiday treats are not safe for pets so be sure you’re taking extra precaution not to leave out human treats your pet could eat (or reach) by accident. Consider stocking up on pet-friendly treats so that you can offer pets something festive during the season.
- Be on the look-out for colder temperatures: In many areas of the country, winter is just weeks away. Make sure you’re monitoring your new pet’s time outside and on walks so he or she does not get too cold.
- Maintain a routine: It’s important to maintain a routine for new pets, especially during the holidays when there are plenty of family gatherings and celebrations. A routine will help reinforce good behavior around potty training, meal time and bedtime.
A Gift for Giving the Greatest Gift
People adopting pets – at PetSmart or elsewhere -- can receive PetSmart’s free Adoption Starter Kit, offered every day at stores and featuring additional tips for caring for a new cat or dog, and a range of coupons valued at $400 in savings. The coupons cover everything a new pet parent needs including beds, bowls, collars, leashes, free one-time services such as veterinarian, PetsHotel® boarding, training and Doggie Day Camp, as well as a free bag of dog or cat food under the brands Simply Nourish™, Authority® or Good Natured™ -- which are proud sponsors of PetSmart Charities. These food brands also give back by donating more than 200 tons of food every year to help pets in need.
How to Give a Forever Home for the Holidays
|Where:||PetSmart Charities Adoption Centers or designated adoption areas in PetSmart stores|
|When:||Fri., Nov. 13 and Sat., Nov. 14, 9 a.m. - 9 p.m.|
|Sun., Nov. 15, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.|
Find the PetSmart store nearest you at http://pets.petsmart.com/adoptions/ or call 1-877-473-8762.
|Share:||Use #adoptlove and #gotchaday to share pictures of your newly adopted pets!|
Adopt a Pet, Save a Life
Each year about 7 million pets enter shelters across North America and some 3 million healthy, adoptable pets are euthanized. To help, PetSmart teams up with PetSmart Charities to run National Adoption Weekends four times a year. On average, some 15,000 pets find forever homes during these weekend events. And, more than 6 million pets have found homes through PetSmart Charities adoption programs since 1994. PetSmart Charities and PetSmart help save more than 1,000 pets a day with one pet adopted every minute a PetSmart store is open.
As a nonprofit, PetSmart Charities depends on donations to offer special events like this one. A donation of just $25 helps save a pet’s life through adoption. You can donate online or via phone at 1-800-745-9460.
Join the Conversation
You can follow PetSmart Charities and PetSmart on Facebook throughout National Adoption Weekend at www.facebook.com/PetSmartCharities and www.facebook.com/PetSmart. Pet parents are invited to post photos of their newly adopted pets using #adoptlove and #gotchaday, and tag @PetSmart on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to share their news and to support this lifesaving event.
PetSmart, Inc. is the largest specialty pet retailer of services and solutions for the lifetime needs of pets. At PetSmart, we love pets, and we believe pets make us better people. Every day with every connection, PetSmart’s passionate associates help bring pet parents closer to their pets so they can live more fulfilled lives. This mission impacts everything we do for our customers, the way we support our associates, and how we give back to our communities. We employ approximately 53,000 associates, operate approximately 1,433 pet stores in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico and approximately 202 in-store PetSmart® PetsHotel® dog and cat boarding facilities. PetSmart provides a broad range of competitively priced pet food and pet products and offers dog training, pet grooming, pet boarding, PetSmart Doggie Day CampTM day care services and pet adoption services in-store. Our portfolio of digital resources for pet parents – including PetSmart.com, PetFoodDirect.com, Pet360.com, OnlyNaturalPet.com and petMD.com – offers the most comprehensive online pet supplies and pet care information in the U.S. Through our in-store pet adoption partnership with independent nonprofit organizations, PetSmart Charities™ and PetSmart Charities™ of Canada, PetSmart helps to save the lives of more than 450,000 homeless pets each year. In addition, PetSmart supports organizations that make communities a better place to call home through our philanthropy program, PetSmart Gives Back™. By giving back to the communities where we live and work, PetSmart not only celebrates the power of pets to enrich people's lives—we live it.
About PetSmart Charities™
PetSmart Charities, Inc. is a nonprofit animal welfare organization that saves the lives of homeless pets. More than 450,000 dogs and cats find homes each year through our adoption program in PetSmart® stores and our sponsored adoption events. PetSmart Charities grants more money to directly help pets in need than any other animal welfare group in North America, with a focus on funding spay/neuter services that help communities solve pet overpopulation. PetSmart Charities is a 501(c)(3) organization, independent from PetSmart, Inc.