SCOTTSDALE, Ariz.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Magellan Health, Inc. (NASDAQ: MGLN) today said that many employee assistance programs (EAPs) do not address the challenges of the workplace of 2020, having been created in the 1990s when the workforce was radically different than it is today.
“By 2020, Millenials will make up 46 percent of all workers in our country, resulting in a strong shift in workplace culture and behavior,” said Lynn Hamilton, senior vice president of Magellan Healthcare’s employer business. “At the same time, there are a significant percentage of Baby Boomers waiting longer to retire, members of Generation X taking on senior leadership positions, and individuals in their seventies and eighties remaining in the workforce. The one-size-fits-all approach to employee assistance programs is mired in the workplace of 30 years ago, and absent the technological and mobile capabilities necessary to engage employees of all ages located in the office or working remotely.”
Magellan identified five features of an EAP ready to tackle the challenges of Workforce 2020:
- Computer-Based Cognitive Behavioral Therapy helps employees manage behavioral health concerns including anxiety, insomnia, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), depression and substance abuse. Proven to be as effective as in-person therapy, computer-based cognitive behavioral therapy allows employees to manage their conditions when and where they are most comfortable through online modules accessible on any device.
- Tele-Coaching affords employees the opportunity for live coaching with a behavioral health expert over the phone without having to take time out of work or having to leave their homes. Coaches provide help and motivation in resolving common problems and in improving health and well-being.
- Live Chat allows employees to get instant assistance online for their questions and concerns and to speak with an expert confidentially to help find resources for a wide variety of personal, family and work-related concerns.
- Incentives and Rewards as a part of an integrated wellness program help encourage employees to improve their own health. Using games and real-world rewards, employees are motivated to take charge and get healthy.
- Cultural Competency ensures that EAP resources are prepared and knowledgeable when talking to a blend of ethnic and social groups.
“While small upgrades and patches can help older EAPs, a new era requires a new approach,” said Hamilton. “Employees are still looking to access the resources available in traditional employee assistance programs, but they are looking to do so in a way that fits their lifestyle and habits. Combining best practices with cutting-edge technological capabilities, Magellan offers the best of both worlds to help employers provide their employees with the tools necessary to succeed and thrive.”
Learn more about Workforce 2020 by clicking here.
About Magellan Health: Headquartered in Scottsdale, Ariz., Magellan Health, Inc. is a leader in managing the fastest growing, most complex areas of health, including special populations, complete pharmacy benefits and other specialty areas of healthcare. Magellan develops innovative solutions that combine advanced analytics, agile technology and clinical excellence to drive better decision making, positively impact health outcomes and optimize the cost of care for the members we serve — all within a customer-first culture. Magellan’s customers include health plans and other managed care organizations, employers, labor unions, various military and governmental agencies and third-party administrators. For more information, visit MagellanHealth.com.